• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

bit of a strange one..

donnamt

Wise Old Thumper
as most of you know Alvin and Pearl are travelling bunnies and thats why we bought the skoda big boot :)... and should they decide not to fix the car after stes smash we will not be able to get another one because we will be losing well over a grand on the price we paid :(..

Ste wants to stick with the German brand, skoda, seat, VW or audi

we wont be able to afford an audi, i dont like seats so that leaves a skoda or a VW.. he wants to get a golf BUT its not big enough for the bunnies cage, bunnies, dog, us and our bags so hes suggested we buy a pen and leave it at his moms house for when we go up... my worry is the smells... will an unfamiliar pen upset them too much? we even take the carpet with us because i want them to settle as soon as poss..and they seem to settle almost as soon as the litter tray is put down for them.

am i just overly worrying? does anyone else leave a cage set up at families houses for visiting?

Firstly, I have a Seat Ibiza, and I love it :D

I wouldn't worry too much about the actual pen being unfamiliar to them. However, when I've had other peoples bunnies staying with me I've always been keen to ensure they have their own toys, litter trays and mats or rugs and pet carrier with them to make it feel more like home. But that's just me being pedantic :roll:

Firstly, I have a Seat Ibiza, and I love it :D

I wouldn't worry too much about the actual pen being unfamiliar to them. However, when I've had other peoples bunnies staying with me I've always been keen to ensure they have their own toys, litter trays and mats or rugs and pet carrier with them to make it feel more like home. But that's just me being pedantic :roll:

no thats good.. the carrier doubles up as the bolt hole and pearl loves it and for the flooring i could use the quilt cover i put on our bed to stop damage... brilliant :D:D

Could you take a sheet which smells of them with you so that they could have that on the floor instead of your carpet

Could you take a sheet which smells of them with you so that they could have that on the floor instead of your carpet

yeah theres a quilt cover i put ontop of our bed to protect it... thats covered in thier hairs and smells... dunno why i never thought about it before itll fold up tiny :D:D

We take our buns on holiday with us to a holiday home and to my parents and use a large foldable pen and a piece of lino underneath. They seem to settle quickly in the pen but we bring a used litter tray so it carries their scent for the first day and all their current toys and bedding so it has their scent too. By the next day they are happy enough with it all changed and fresh. They are far more nervous of exploring the new surroundings but given a day or two they behave as if they are in a new home and pretty happy to explore. We constantly monitor their food and poo intake and outtake and give them time on the first day just to settle in quietly.
I have to say though, they are always over the moon to be home again at the end of the holiday! There's no place like home :D

I'd love to take mine on holiday! But I don't drive so it won't be happening any time soon.
I think they should be fine as long as you take some of their stuff and the bed blanket with you.

Back