• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Is it always mites?

Diddeen

Wise Old Thumper
Simba has always had problems with what appears to be mites.. last time i went to the vets she looked back and its been roughly every 6 months that ive had to take him in for treatment for it.
He has it again by the looks of him.. has bald patches and dry flakey skin in places, backs of his ears have dry patches which are scaley.
Is it always the mites that come from hay or is it something else? My other two never have any problems with it.
At first i thought maybe he was just going through a heavy moult but now there is dandruff im guessing it cant just be a moult can it??

Could it be dermatitis?

I have a bun who gets dry skin when he is moulting, but not to the extent it could appear to be mites.

oh right.. do you do anything for it or does it just clear up?
When he's had mites he's had sore bits where i guess he chews himself and he gets little scabs.. he doesnt have that this time.. just lots of dandruff :? maybe i'll keep combing out the loose fur and hope his bald patches grow back soon

Simba has always had problems with what appears to be mites.. last time i went to the vets she looked back and its been roughly every 6 months that ive had to take him in for treatment for it.
He has it again by the looks of him.. has bald patches and dry flakey skin in places, backs of his ears have dry patches which are scaley.
Is it always the mites that come from hay or is it something else? My other two never have any problems with it.
At first i thought maybe he was just going through a heavy moult but now there is dandruff im guessing it cant just be a moult can it??

One of ours gets dandruff and flaky skin related to his moulting, because he is ALWAYS moulting!! :lol: I can count 5 moult lines today:shock:
It could equally be mites? How's his health otherwise? Being under par and a suppressed immune system or an inability to groom properly can allow the normal populations of these mites they apparently carry 'all the time inocuously' to breed out of control. They tend to manage the population by being in good health and grooming themselves regularly. An increase in population can also be brought along in things like hay etc if from a farm with other animals around. Perhaps a vet check and some bloods just to check he's not gone any underlying health issues making him more susceptible? I think a swab of the mites would be a good idea to check they really are mites and not just dandruff.

the difference between simba and my other two buns is their coats.. simba's is alot more woolly so maybe he doesnt groom down to his skin as well as the other two :? Otherwise is is very healthy.. never had any other health problems

Back