• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Indoor eclosure ideas

Mini5476

Young Bun
Well I've finally got both the buns neutered/spayed and I've decided to get rid of the cages and try to put together some sort of enclosure.

I have one of the playpen things and I was thinking of just putting that straight across from the wall to the egde of the cupboards under the counter, but that would be too easy wouldn't it.
I know one of the buns can jump out of the play pen so I need to add height or some sort of roof, this is where I thought you could throw some ideas at me.

A picture of the area so you know what I'm talking about.
P6260004.jpg

Also whenever the buns are in the playpen they end up pushing it around, so while it would be attached at either side it might be quite flimsy in the middle.

I put the pen across there quickly to show you what I'm talking about.

P6260001.jpg

Thats the basic idea it would need to be secured and I need to add a little height, any ideas?

Also its thinner than I expected it would be 23inches across by 105inches long, is 23inches across too small when it would be so long?

Last edited:
That area doesnt really look big enough to be a full time base. Do they get alot of time free range?

I use NIC cubes to section off an area. Strawberry can jump out if they are only 2 high but I use clothes pegs to secure some netting over the top and that keeps him in!

They are out most of the day, one is left out for the first half of the day and the other for the second half. they have most of the house to run about except the living room which I have as yet been to lazy to rabbit proof (So many wires).

Once they are living together they will be out most of the day and only in the enclosure when I am asleep.

The netting is a good idea I could attach it to the wall at the back and have it rolled back when I'm around and close it up when I'm asleep.

As for making it bigger, there it is one panel(of the playpen) long I could make it two panels.

Last edited:
I have just finished this all thats missing is rabbits (it has a roof that just sits on the top)

292y1cp.jpg

2ly623m.jpg

I just hope they like it - 3 weeks and counting

I have an indoor rabbit and I close her in her cage overnight when we are in bed for her safety but when we get up in the mornings I open her cage and leave it open all day so she can come and go as she pleases. What we have noticed now as she settled into the house and to our family she is out of her cage more than in and has found a comfy corner of the room if she feels like a nap or rest, I have been lucky though she does not ever chew anything or do the toilet outwith cage.

I have just finished this all thats missing is rabbits (it has a roof that just sits on the top)

292y1cp.jpg

2ly623m.jpg

I just hope they like it - 3 weeks and counting

That really does look good. Will it be easy to clean?

I have the same pen mini has and it is not big enough i think. I had it for my african pygmy hedgehog but i wouldnt know how you would make it higher?

The set up shown at the moment is for when I first receive the bunnys (one male and one female) I will keep them seperate until they have been spayed etc. Then the middle panel will be removed once they are bonded and finally when they are trained they will have full access to beroom. The runs are 3ft by 4.5 ft seperately : combined will be 6ft by 4.5ft, is this really not big enough for 8 week old mini lops?

Please let me know as I want to get everything right from the word go

It should be easy enough to clean as they are washable/scrubable mats on the floor (kinda like the ones for kids play areas)

Last edited:
The set up shown at the moment is for when I first receive the bunnys (one male and one female) I will keep them seperate until they have been spayed etc. Then the middle panel will be removed once they are bonded and finally when they are trained they will have full access to beroom. The runs are 3ft by 4.5 ft seperately : combined will be 6ft by 4.5ft, is this really not big enough for 8 week old mini lops? Please let me know as I want to get everything right from the word go

i dont think that post was aimed at you.. your bunnies have a whole room, most of our buns dream of that space :D

The set up shown at the moment is for when I first receive the bunnys (one male and one female) I will keep them seperate until they have been spayed etc. Then the middle panel will be removed once they are bonded and finally when they are trained they will have full access to beroom. The runs are 3ft by 4.5 ft seperately : combined will be 6ft by 4.5ft, is this really not big enough for 8 week old mini lops?

Please let me know as I want to get everything right from the word go

It should be easy enough to clean as they are washable/scrubable mats on the floor (kinda like the ones for kids play areas)

Sorry, I was talking about the OP's arrangement as I hadn't realised you wanted to know whether yours was adequate. I thought you were giving it as an example...

Oh, I was really worried there I thought I had got it wrong

Thats a relief

well my pair have packed thier bags and are heading over :lol::lol:

long as you let em out for a good run theyll be very happy bunnies :love::love:

you may have to put a cover (like a netting over) until they are spayed tho, you would not beleive how good they are at climbing/jumping fences till you witness it :lol::lol: my pen is 24" high and Pearl escaped a few times :shock:

Yep sorted a roof out, its a four panel out door run which will double up for a roof and a run, thank godness for cable ties

Imagine this without the netting

2vvjjhe.jpg

two panels per run : I have to purchase a piece of wood to run down the middle divider to lay the panels on, I'll upload new pics once complete.

Than when I transfer it to garden I'll cable tie two panels together to make a tent shape with a triange cut from wood cabled tied to the end and the other end going into this

13zd6h2.jpg

Well thats the plan

Back