• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Flystrike - should I worry?

Yeah I'd check them but I doubt you have anything to worry about. Rabbits tend to get flystrike if they are in terribly filthy conditions and can't keep themselves clean or they have sticky/runny poo that attracts the flies.
I wouldn't bother with anything preventative like rearguard as i doubt you'd need it. I don't use it on my bunnies outside, i just make sure they are cleaned out everyday or so and I often check their buttoms just in case.
Helen xx

Yes they still need checking every day as any rabbit can fall victim to flystrike.

You may want to use Flyguard as it's cheap and readily available.

Well I hope you still check your bunny everyday anyway for bumps lumps etc. While your checking this and for dirty bottys just check for maggots. Obv house rabbits are more uncommon in getting flysrike as you would notice quicker if eggs were hatching etc. But your bunny should still be going outside for exercise so the risk is still there. Obv houses are hotter than gardens too so eggs will hatch quicker.
I still put rearguard on mine although im not as thorough as i would be when they are older as they are still youngish and healthy but i dont want to take the risk when im out at work etc.

My buns hate having bums checked:( Lola goes on a massive dominant frenzy after having her bum inspected!

Is this stuff OK?

BEAPHER FLY FREE SPRAY

Last edited:
to be honest, i think because your bunnies are indoors you see them alot more and if they had poopy bums you would most likely notice without actually having to pick them up and look.

just keep a close eye and check if you feel ou need to but i wouldnt check all the time if they are clean good weight bunnies.

i know overweight bunnies are a risk x

to be honest, i think because your bunnies are indoors you see them alot more and if they had poopy bums you would most likely notice without actually having to pick them up and look.

just keep a close eye and check if you feel ou need to but i wouldnt check all the time if they are clean good weight bunnies.

i know overweight bunnies are a risk x

Just keep an extra eye on Lucy hahahha :lol: :D :D :D

Hun am sure they will be fine, like SJ says! :D

i don't actually pick eric up to check him, i just keep an eye on him whilst he's jumping about and i'm lying on the floor. sounds like i'm perving on my rabbit but i'm not!:oops: i lie on the floor a lot as i have a back problem so i do yoga and as eric's a black otter, his underneath is light anyway. if i noticed some sticky poo i'd grab him to check (fingers crossed this won't happen).

Mine are in one room but it only takes one fly getting in. Honey absolutely hates bum checks and grunts at me. I am very thorough as well just in case once or twice daily I do them.

But your bunny should still be going outside for exercise so the risk is still there.

Why? I've live in a 3rd floor apartment and Philly never goes outside, shes free range alot of the time and gets her exercise that way...

I still check her bum everyday, but as she HATES it I dont grab her and pick her up to do it, I check during one of the many bunny bonding sessions we have, usually as shes binkying and leaping around. If i see anythign suspect then I DO pick her up for a closer look, but generally being laid on the floor and crawled all over by her is enough for me to check :)

i dont get flys in the house... and if they dare enter they do get executed before they dare to go near my buns :evil::evil:

if flys get in your house hun its best to check.. if they dont then theres no danger :D

Back