• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Flystrike - u/d 27/6 nothing else found.

bunny babe

Wise Old Thumper
:cry: I have just done a bum check (I do them twice a day) on Homer and noticed that there were two tiny maggots on his tail. I will have to take him to the vet as soon as they open - what will they do?

I rearguarded both rabbits last week and Homer decided to sit in urine earlier in the week so I had to wash his tail. I got some new rearguard yesterday and re-did the area. I can not see any other eggs. Bloody flies

Last edited:
Afraid I'm only very vaguely aware of what the vets will do as I was only 13-14 when it happened ot my friend's rabbit. I know it didn't involve surgery of any kind, I think it just involved shaving the fur on the back end, applying or washing the bun with something to kill the maggots and eggs, and then applying something to heal any wounds. I only know we had to put rubber gloves on to apply the cream to the scabs (there were quite a lot of scabs on this rabbit so maybe your bun isn't as far gone as that yet?)

Hope he gets on okay at the vets x

Did you pick them off, if not do that now. If there are 2 there is gonna be more eggs hatching so keep eye on him. Get to vet asap. If you have hair trimmers shave his back end off thats what vets will do anyway as the maggotts may be already burrowing into wound.
Your vet should tell you more but once you get it unless you find the problem your bound to get it again...
Is he overweight? Can he clean himself? Is he old? etc etc try and find out what may have caused it and try and re-solve it. I.e diet, teeth trimmed, clean hutch out evryday and night so on.
If no obvious signs of why he would get it ask vets to do full examination as may be under lying problem.
Sorry dont mean to sound nasty just we weren't told any of this when mine caught it years ago it was only when she caught it again that they told us all this by then it was too late!
Also if you need to wash his botty you must re-apply the rearguard as soon as. I was told it sfine to re-apply say every few days as your washing it off fur anyway so you cant overdose so to speak but check with vet. I even satrted taking bun to groomers to get a nice shaved botty so I could watch more easily.

oh about the shaving what they do is they take the top layer of skin off the buns back area to check no maggots have burrowed deep into the bun. Also dont know how they do it but they have to check that none have crawled up botty and are eating away inside bunny.
Its such a terrible thing to witness.
Sending loads of love and fast recovery to bun.xx

Went to my local vet but not my usual one as he is s lot further away at the emergency hospital. Was basically told that she could see no more, so sent me away and told me to keep checking him. There are no wounds on him that we can see.

I was not totally happy so took him straight to another vets (one I have not been to before but heard is good) and they immediately admitted him so that they can check him thoroughly and keep an eye on things over the next few hours. I will ring them at 3 to see how he is. He is fine in himself.

Poor Homer, good job you were checking well. Hope he'll be ok, I'm sure he will.

I found a couple maggots on our old bunny late one night a few years ago, I got them off and called the vet, the nurse advised me to sit his bottom in warm water for a few minutes, as this encourages any other eggs to hatch and then you can pick them off. I did this and checked him over at half hour intervals in to the night, dipping, waiting, checking until no more appeared. He went to the vet first thing the next morning. He was fine, had a pain killer just in case and we kept the area clean and creamed where the little ******* had had a bite.

Thank you. I now have Homer back home. I will keep him in the house today, tonight and tomorrow and keep checking.

Maybe he picked them up off the grass as they were just on the underside of his tail, I don't know.

The vet nurse said that he was spotless as far as she could see and that I had done a good job spotting them and getting him checked quickly. She also said he was lovely :love::love::love:

So pleased that Homer is okay. What a lucky bunny to have such an fast acting mummy looking after him!

Sending huge 'bunny hugs' from me and Bramble :love:

I am pleased to report that no further nasties have been found since the two this morning, however we are still doing minimum of hourly checks.

Thanks for all your support, I was so upset this morning as I felt that we had done everything to prevent this happening. I always check at least twice a day - especially Homer as he loves his cuddles (lies on his back like a baby in my arms and goes to sleep)and he does suffer with a dicky tum at times.

We were due to go to Cornwall this morning for a few days but have now cancelled.:roll:

Well, I kept checking at least every hour up until midnight and then came up and crashed out until 7am this morning. I am pleased to say that nothing else has been found.:D

My suspicion is that these may have been picked up on his tail in some long grass (can that happen?) in our garden where they use it as a toilet :roll: . I kept the area long to try to keep Homer's teeth down but think I will keep it short now.

Back