• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Crows attacking wildie baby

Mackers

Wise Old Thumper
Saw something really horrid as I pulled into the carpark at work today. As I opened my car door, I heard the unmistakable sound of a rabbit in distress. When I turned to look, I saw four large crows attacking a baby wildie. One had it pinned to the floor. Well you've never seen anyone do the 30 yard sprint faster - Linford Christie has nothing on me! I managed to shoo the crows away, although the one who had the wildie pinned down took some moving.

Unfortunately, the bun had myxi anyway, which was probably why the crows had managed to attack it in the first place. It ran into dense thistle bushes so I couldn't find it but hopefully the crows couldn't get it either. I know it's going to die anyway but I couldn't bear to watch it pecked to death:cry::cry:

Nature's so cruel. Binky free little baby.

Gosh how sad:( Nature really is quite brutal sometimes. We got woken up once early in the morning and pouring rain by the sound of a baby bird screaming, never heard that before! My OH ran out onto the drive in his underwear to find a couple of magpies had a baby blackbird pinned down to the ground trying to eat it. They fled the scene and the poor bedraggled thing was in such a sorry state. Anyway, we rescued it and hand-reared it - emptied out our potting shed and made it into an aviary and even taught him when he was old enough to catch worms. He used to sit on my head and whistle back when I called him. He made it to adulthood and we're pretty sure he was around the garden the next year, very wild but not nervous of us!
How sad poor bunny, but sadly nothing to be done, like you I'd have tried! Hopefully it can rest in peace under the bushes:(

Back