• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Pus lump on head of one eared bunny

charlilou

New Kit
Hi all. On monday we adopted a lion head rabbit that had come into out local PaH adoption centre.
He only has 1 ear and a stump as he was interbreed. He was taken with his 2 brothers to PaH as the owner 'couldn't keep them'.

When my mum went in on Monday, they were seperating him from his 2 brothers as they were attacking him, and the guy asked my mum if she would take him as no one wanted him and were laughing at him due to his missing ear. (we know the guy well as we had brought our chinchilla from him).

Mum checked him over and he looked healthy, so she brought him home. Last night we noticed a lump on his head and took him to the vet today.
THe vet burst it and tons of pus came from it.
He thinks it was where his brothers bit him, and it became infected.

He has told up to bathe the lump with warm salt water and remove any puss each day. He is also on a course of Baytril in his water.
If it hasn't cleared up next week, our vet is going to operate to remove it.

Has anyone experienced this before? Will it clear up without needing an OP?

Also, he doesn't think Simba will have a long life due to being interbreed.
Has anyone had an interbreed bunny before? Did the have as long a life as other bunnies?

We are worried about him, as our last bunny had a brain infection and was extremely poorly before she was PTS and we don't want the same to happen if possible.

Sorry to hear about your bunny :( My bun archie has an abscess just under his ear. They tried baytril at first which didn't help and the vet I saw didn't want to remove it. Eventually he had the abscess removed and it was worse than they first though.

Archie was only being treated with baytril and was very withdrawn until he started on metacam so he was obviously in pain from it.

The abscess returned so he's now on depocillin and the abscess hasn't got any bigger in size so I'm hoping its working.

I would ask your vets to remove it if possible and for a culture to be taken so that your using the correct antibiotic to fight the infection. Good luck with your bun

well, it seems to be clearing. We just bathed it and only got a small amount of puss out.
He so calm and placid when we do this.

To be honest, i dont think PaH will pay towards vet treatment as he was from the rescue/adoption centre not the actual store animals, so its kinda different.

Hopefully we will get him sorted, hes so lovely.

just wanted to send our love.
Bit different but we noticed a lump on Angel last year she had it removed and although it was fine the vet thinks it was caused by either Winston nibbling her neck. A insect bite or injection. So I wouldnt worry too much it just needs time to heal and get better. Obv pus is a good sign taht the body is attacking the infection although it doesn't seem like it. But if worse comes to worse and bun does need op he'll be fine.
You just keep telling him he's very special and he has come to teach those that laugh a special lesson...they may look what they think is normal on the outside but he has something much better than them he has a heart and is so much more special inside which is all that counts really.
As for interbreeding I suppose it just depends totally on the rabbit but you think positive and everything will be fine.
Thoughts are living things, you think bad bad will happen. You think good/positive who knows what can happen!

Back