• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Is it cheeky...

JadedRed

Young Bun
...to ask the vet to clip a bunnies nails if you are only booked in for a vaccination?

I ask because money is very tight at the minute and as it only takes a minute will they just do it for you after they have vaccinated the bun? I dont want to **** off the vet!

My vets wouldn’t have a problem with being asked to do it, but I expect they would charge for it. I have never asked them (I cut my buns nails myself) so I can’t say for sure, but I would expect to pay. The only thing I’d expect to save on is a separate car journey later?

There's no harm in asking though, if you're lucky they might say okay but the worst thing they can say is ‘No’ or ‘It will have to be added to your bill’.

You usually get a good old check up too even though you only book for a vaccination - they have to check they seem healthy enough to have the vac... you can just say then about the nails. I do it all the time - it only takes a couple of minutes, but they do charge £5 for it at our vets! (I do them myself unless a bun is having a vac soon - then I let the vet get battered instead!)

...to ask the vet to clip a bunnies nails if you are only booked in for a vaccination?

I ask because money is very tight at the minute and as it only takes a minute will they just do it for you after they have vaccinated the bun? I dont want to **** off the vet!

No. At my bun's vaccs, he has his teeth checked, ears checked, weight checked and nails clipped.

Why not ask your vet to show you how to do it :) That way if you do have to pay you only have to do it once.

My vet is more than happy to do it for free if she has time while im there. If she is sort of time and she has to ask a nurse to do it then I have to pay.

I mainly do them myself now but Strawberry has black nails so they can be difficult.

View the video from the link below

I stopped using nail clipper, because I always afraid of over cutting into the quick and causes blood. But the consequence that I face is that my bun snap her nail and her finger due to the excessive length of the nail.
http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=165483

In the end, I bought the above.

If the nail got too long and you don't cut it, 2 bad things can happen, as they had BOTH happened to my buns:

1) the nail will snap, blood will arise at the snap point, and bacteria can get in from the opening

2) The nail can trap by some sort of hole, and snap the finger joint, then the finger is loose and look like it's broken

Back