• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

My rabbit is dribbling

Maria786

Warren Scout
I am leaving for holiday tomorrow and I just dropped my rabbit off at my sisters house so she can look after him. Just noticed it when he was sat in the carrier that there was a wet spot near where he was sat. Just a few drops and then I noticed wetness on his mouth.

?????

He will need a dental check up to rule out dental problems. Would your sister be able to get him to a vet and give him the necessary aftercare?

We also have a pear tree in the garden and he has been chewing the trunk. This has only started recently, could it be connected?

I agree. It's most likely to be a dental issue which probably can be fixed but either way he needs to see a vet. I doubt the tree has done any harm, it's normal for buns to chew bark.

He will need a dental check up to rule out dental problems. Would your sister be able to get him to a vet and give him the necessary aftercare?

Yes I will pay the vet costs and she will take him. She doesn't even know he has a problem. I thought I should mention it here before I tell her. I think a visit to the vet is the best option. He is a lop, and I have read that they are prone to dental probs.

I think pear bark is safe. However, he may be trying to help wear his teeth down if he is having problems with them.
A splinter is possible, though much less likely

I agree. It's most likely to be a dental issue which probably can be fixed but either way he needs to see a vet. I doubt the tree has done any harm, it's normal for buns to chew bark.

Ok thanks. Cheers for the quick reply, I needed advice.

Agree with all of the above. Yes don't worry pear tree bark and leaves are safe. Just as an extra thing....our nervous bun dribbles when she is anxious or frightened, so perhaps the car trip did this? However, I think a vet check up is a very good idea to be on the safe side:)

I am leaving for holiday tomorrow and I just dropped my rabbit off at my sisters house so she can look after him. Just noticed it when he was sat in the carrier that there was a wet spot near where he was sat. Just a few drops and then I noticed wetness on his mouth.

?????

Hi, i also have a lop bunny , mine is a girl i always find that lops get sick easier, for some reason my bunny is always wet around the mouth and underneth the chin, now she has carrots of a nigt, and we looked under her chin and there were bits of chewed up carrot, she was dribbling all that she has eating just comes out of her mouth

Hi, i also have a lop bunny , mine is a girl i always find that lops get sick easier, for some reason my bunny is always wet around the mouth and underneth the chin, now she has carrots of a nigt, and we looked under her chin and there were bits of chewed up carrot, she was dribbling all that she has eating just comes out of her mouth

Most of my lops and my Dutch are dental bunnies, it's because of the size of their mouths, they are bred for "cuteness" unfortunately the breeders don't take into account they need room in their mouths for their teeth:evil:
Mine have regular check ups, but don't always need dentals, one always starts chewing everything in sight when she has a spur, it's her way of telling me:?

Back