• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Deciding to get another bun?

Estelle

Wise Old Thumper
I'm really not sure what to do about Phoebe. She seems ok on her own since Ted died and I have moved the partition between her and Amber and Dexter and they quite often lie next to each other separated by the wire. I wouldn't trust the 2 girls together so bonding the 3 is out of the question. I think one hutch and run combo is also too small for 3 of them.

The thing is I have seen a "Rabbit in Need" that looks so cute and I keep thinking that it would help by making a space for another bun to be rescued if I tried to bond him with Phoebe.
The thing that puts me off is that i'm still heartbroken about what happened to Hobbes and Ted and not sure I want to keep going through more heartbreak with more pets. Phoebe is 5 years old though and could live for another 5 years on her own :( I just so hate rabbit abscesses, it's making it really hard to take on another bun.

The bad times seem so huge they can sometimes make us forget the good times.
There's no guarantees, but you could have years without trouble with a new bun.
Also, if you rehome another bun you could be saving many lives: those who will take that buns place in the rescue xx

Rabbits are so prone to illnesses that's it's almost a given that something will happen...but then again I know people who have got rabbits of an old age and they've always been perfectly healthy! It's always a gamble.....

But.... personally I think if you have the finances and time it would really help Phoebe if she had a friend, especially if she has been used to one her entire life, I would probably say different if she had always been a single bun.

I have vowed not to have any more pets, but I think if one of mine died and left a single partner, if I couldn't bond them into a group I'd have to go for a bun of a similar age to try and bond them with.

Goodluck with your decision, just follow your heart!

Its a tough decision isnt it?

Im swithering whether to getFudge a friend! She has always been on her own but ive been there for her all day everyday and im soon going to get either a full time job or go back to college! She would then benefit from having a friend but will one more make a huge difference to vet bills?

I too have seen a 'rabbit in need' that i would LOVE but i dont know if its the right time. (especially after loosing blackie, although lmost 4 months ago, its still hard:()

I would think it over and the you will make the right decision :wave:

I agree it is hard. There's a bun here who "could stay" at no extra work etc for me, but at what point does it stop? I love my buns & I am happy with my next 10 years or so commitment - but then I'll be 42 & don't know what my life will be. I was looking at houses a shortwhile back, & my lifestlye does limit me a bit.

I love them:love: - but no more youngsters for me

I'm a bit unbalanced at the min - apart from Crackle (dental nethie) & Bouncer (foster) all the buns I've lost have been female. I'm actually stuck with what to do with the remaining dental nethie -Pop. He's an un-neutered male (he's tiny - but going to speak to vet again re neutering) & there's no pair he would fit in. Worried he might upset the group:roll:

Have you ever tried a 3? Sometimes if buns are older, or lonely it can work better. But then you risk somebun being left out. It's hard knowing what to do for the best

have you ever tried a 3? Sometimes if buns are older, or lonely it can work better. But then you risk somebun being left out. It's hard knowing what to do for the best

I've tried a 3 when i had Hobbes, Phoebe and then Amber arrived but Phoebe went for Amber straight away and ripped part of her ear off so i'm not willing to try that again.

Phoebe does seem ok on her own but I know how much they enjoy having a bunny friend and I can't stop thinking about the little bunny that i've seen that needs a new home.

I've tried a 3 when i had Hobbes, Phoebe and then Amber arrived but Phoebe went for Amber straight away and ripped part of her ear off so i'm not willing to try that again.

Phoebe does seem ok on her own but I know how much they enjoy having a bunny friend and I can't stop thinking about the little bunny that i've seen that needs a new home.

I think if you can afford to take on another bunny then go for it!
Because she has had a friend before she may be a little lonely so a friend will cheer her up, you could get the rescue (if its a rescue your going for) to bond and if it doesnt work try with another bunny :D

Which bunny have you got your eye on? They are all SO gorgeous but i have my heart set on Sparrow:love: I just need to decide if its the right time and ask permission first :roll:

I say go for it :wave:

I am in the same predicament with Bino I really don't want anymore bunnies but I am going to try her with a bunny soon and if it works he will come to stay but if it doesn't I won't keep trying as she is happy neough on her own now xxxx

I had Monty and Goofball both passed away last year. But there is no co-relation between upcoming buns' health vs. the ones that I had. RU has members whose bun live to age 16 to 18, and we also have members whose bun passed away at young age

I would get Phoebe a boyfriend, most likely a bun full of energy to keep her company

I don't think there is a right or wrong answer to this problem.

I did not think I would find myself in this situation so soon as all my buns are quite young.
That changed last week when I lost my gorgeous little Meg at about 18 months old.
Her partner, Spotbun, is just so miserable/lonely. All he has done for the last week and a half is sit under the stool in the aviary. This is not like him at all and I hate seeing him like it.
As he is only just about 2 years old I knew we had to get him a new friend. I wish I could tell him that he has, not one, but 2 new friends on the way and I can't wait to bond them into a trio.
Although I was heartbroken at losing Meg, I knew what I had to do for Spotbun. I am looking forward to my two new buns, who I hope will have a happy life with us.

Back