• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Mouth ulcer

abbymarysmokey

Wise Old Thumper
Dixie has been looking a bit down since the weekend and started dribbling on Monday. I thought it must be molar spurs despite the fact that he didn't stop eating veg (which is the usual sign for him).

My vet couldn't see anything on a conscious examination, so he had a GA...which showed that his molars were fine, but that he had a large ulcer at the back of his mouth.

He's had pain relief and has been put on a course of penicilin just in case it's a bacterial infection.

Neither the vet or I have any idea why he has this mouth ulcer. It isn't caused by his teeth (although he does have teeth problems and had a tooth root infection in his incisors around this time last year).

So, any thoughts on a possible cause? And how should we be treating it?

There was a thread concerning a bunny with this a few days ago. Maybe someone can find it?
So yes, it can happen. I have seen some terrible ulcer in dogs with kidney disease.
There are other possible causes though: injury from something such as a thorn; bacterial infection, poss secondary to underlying illness such as pasteurella; maybe even contact with a plant with toxic sap.

I have had a number of bunnies with mouth ulcers that have had kidney failure :( I do think it is fairly common unfortunately.

I would definately get bloods done.

If it is something treatable which I really hope it is, it may be worth treating the ulcer with Antepsin liquid. This has worked well for us in the past. :)

Dixie went back for a check up last night. He's no better, and his chest is constantly wet from dribbling so much :(

The vet said that his breath would smell from the urea if it was kidney failure, added to the fact that he has reasonable body weight and coat condition, so was inclined to think that it isn't that at this stage.

Dixie went back for a check up last night. He's no better, and his chest is constantly wet from dribbling so much :(

The vet said that his breath would smell from the urea if it was kidney failure, added to the fact that he has reasonable body weight and coat condition, so was inclined to think that it isn't that at this stage.

Yesterday Marie (Kubiak) suggested we treat Maya's severe mouth ulcer with Antepsin (aswell as the abx she's already on). Apparently Antepsin can promote healing in oral ulcers aswell as those lower down in the GI tract. Marie also said that Renal Failure related ulcers tend to cover a wider area, lots of little ulcers, rather than one or two larger lesions.

Yesterday Marie (Kubiak) suggested we treat Maya's severe mouth ulcer with Antepsin (aswell as the abx she's already on). Apparently Antepsin can promote healing in oral ulcers aswell as those lower down in the GI tract. Marie also said that Renal Failure related ulcers tend to cover a wider area, lots of little ulcers, rather than one or two larger lesions.

I already suggested Antepsin in my earlier post :) We used it successfully on a bunny a few years ago.

Can it be used for mouth ulcers? I've googled it, but seems to say that it's for ulcers in the intestines?

Yes, we even used it on our cat when she had a tongue ulcer :) They don't even have to swallow it, as long as it just goes in the mouth enough to coat the ulcer. Luckily Lewis (bunny) loved the taste but the cat didn't, so that was fun :roll::lol:

Antepsin primarily is used for stomach ulcers as it neutralises stomach acid, preventing further damage. However, it binds to the ulcer surface as well so acts as a barrier to further chemical damage/irritation (though little resistance to mechanical damage).
Just to add - although typically renal related ulcers are usually multiple smaller ones this does not completely rule out renal disease with large ulcers. If there are any other signs - particularly drinking/urinating more, history of EC, weight loss, lethargy or failure of the ulcers to heal then blood tests to check the kidneys would be a very good idea.

Back