• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Rabbit Head Tilt

Chips is 12.5 years old and has been loving this summer so far. Running around in the garden, sitting with us whilst we have our bbq. Its been brilliant. Almost like he has had a new lease of life.
However yesterday, i let him out as normal for a run and left him for 30 mins. When i came back he was running round in circles to the right and his head kept slowly moving to the right. As he is blind in his right eye, he cannot see when running to the right.
Is really painful to watch as we have had him so long and love him to bits and yet when we pick him up he is still as affectionate as ever. As for eating, he is still eating everything. Please advise me what to do. I have ordered a treatment of Panacur off the internet but fear because of his age it will have no real effect. However i don't think i could bare having him put down. :(

There are other causes for a head tilt other than EC, so you really need to take your bun to the vet to find out more about what is causing the tilt and treatments for it.

Even if it is EC I've read on here of buns having anti-inflamatory to help correct the tilt, which you'll need to get from a vet :)

I can't really afford a Vets bill, especially when i know that they will only advise for him to be put down. Last year when he lost his sight, i took him to the vet and he suggested then about putting Chips to sleep.
His stuggling on at the mo, but he leans himself against the wall in his hutch to stay straight and slumps over when let out for a run.
All my other rabbits have died of a heart attack or disease so this is new for me.
p.s Is Chips the oldest rabbit you have heard of at 12.5 years?

He needs to have an anti- inflammatory and pain relief.

He will also need to be put on a 28 day of panacur.

I can't really afford a Vets bill, especially when i know that they will only advise for him to be put down. Last year when he lost his sight, i took him to the vet and he suggested then about putting Chips to sleep.
His stuggling on at the mo, but he leans himself against the wall in his hutch to stay straight and slumps over when let out for a run.
All my other rabbits have died of a heart attack or disease so this is new for me.
p.s Is Chips the oldest rabbit you have heard of at 12.5 years?

I'm sorry, I don't mean this to come across as having a go, and for the moment putting aside the not affording being able to afford a vets bill issue -

Even if you think all the vet will say is it's time to consider putting your rabbit down, it's still worth going. They may say something you might not have thought of. And even if they don't they have your rabbits best interests at heart, if you feel their quality of life is still good then you can (as you obviously already have) disagree and not go through with it.

I'm sorry but your bun still needs to see a professional vet. Again I hope my tone doesn't come across as me having a go, it's not intended that way. But please find a way to take your bun to a vet, managing or not he is suffering.

Please take Chips to a Vet.
He certainly needs to be examined and as previously mentioned by Starlights he probably needs anti-inflammatory medication aswell as Panacur.

Middle ear infections also cause headtilt so antibiotics will probably be needed too. Only a Vet can provide these treatments so you need to make sure you help Chip obtain them. A Vet cannot force you into agreeing to PTS and it may well not even be mentioned.

Good luck

Poor bunny.
Lots of things could cause these symptoms: e.c., ear infection, pasteurella, stroke etc.
Early intervention with anti-inflammatories or even a steroid as well as panacur and antibiotics is his best chance of recovery.
If it happened to you you would want someone to take you to the doctor, right? Surely after 12.5 years of love and affection he deserves this?
If you think the only advice from your vet will be PTS you need to find another vet.

Back