• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Closing one eye. Update- Been to the vets

foofoo

Alpha Buck
I just got Foofoo back from the vets this afternoon after her and Ted staying in overnight to investigate her bladder problems and one of her eyes is swollen and she keeps closing it :?

Her other eye is swollen and red but not as bad. When my other buns have been under GA their eyes have never been swollen just a bit red. Doe's anyone know what might have caused it? Thanks

Last edited:
Did she have an anaesthetic? if so you need to check they are using something to lubricate the eye whilst under such as lacrilube.
Are they vaccinated?

She did have anaesthetic and I think they lubricated her eyes as the fur surrounding is greasy. They're vaccinated for vhd but not myxi at the moment, when they were due to get the myxi done foofoo became ill so I haven't be able to have her done :(
I was wondering if maybe she's had a reaction to the lubricant or possibly hurt herself coming round from the anaesthetic :?

It's possible she could have reacted to something or hurt them coming round. If the rabbit is anaesthetised using the wrong size facemask the eyes can touch the sides for instance, which could lead to soreness and ulcers.
Obviously in an unvaccinated rabbit the is a possibility of mxyi.
I would probably take her back tomorrow so the vet can check for ulcers and rule out the M word xx

I took Foofoo back to the vets today and he said that both eyes are definitely swollen, one more than the other and she had her temperature taken which was fine so her and Ted got their myxi vaccination done. She also has fucithalmic for her eyes.

The vet said he can't guarantee there isn't the possibility that she has myxi so I've to take her back straight away if her eyes get any worse or there's any other symptoms of it.

I'm hoping to god that it isn't myxi but he said it was a good sign that her temperature isn't raised and that he had only seen one rabbit this year that was overdue the vaccination and had contracted myxomatosis.

Back