• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Babies

Aimee-Rose91

New Kit
Right i adopted a couple of rabbits a couple of months ago and we (my boyfriend and me) got told they were both girls...ones a netherland dwarf cross dutch or something like that and ones a netherland dwarf. The netherland dwarf "Bambi" turned out to be a boy but a very young boy, it was virtually impossible to sex him properly anyways you can guess the rest 2 weeks after we'd got them the nethie cross dutch "Mindy" gave birth to 5 kits.

We separated them both so Bambi couldn't breed again although i'm suspecting he probably did, and Mindy has raised them beautifully, we have 1 grey and white one and 4 black and greys and black and whites, there is only two that you can tell apart, and thats storm who has a white patch on his neck and socks who is the grey one.

Anyways getting back to what i wanted to ask...how old do they have to be before they can come out for a run with mum and how long is it till they have to be separated..i have done research but i cant find much on rabbit breeding..although this wasnt intentional and Bambi is getting neutered so he and mindy can live together without more babies and he can enjoy the company of his daughters too.

Thanks x:)

If you intend on keeping them all together they will all need neutering not just the male. Males need to stay away from females for at least 6 weeks after their neuter.

Sorry dont have any advice about kits, never raised any myself.

We're only thinking about keeping the girls together but the boy looks really lonley and they were really good friends. thanks anyway :)

Whoever you decide to keep them they will still ALL need neutering.

Males because they can be territorial and aggressive if not (plus the ability to fertilize), the females because they will be territorial, aggressive, and will almost certainly develop uterine cancers if they aren't done.

Getting back to your original question, I'm not sure how early ether as I haven' had a bun with kits. I'm sure someone with experience will be along soon.

Good luck with them all, and I hope you can find some lovely homes for all of them.

Helen

I let mother rabbits and kits out in runs at around 6 weeks. If yours are in hutches (mine had whole sheds to themselves) , you may want to do it earlier so they can move around more.

And like others have said all the bunnies need to be neutered! I made the mistake of putting off neutering and ended up with two litters of bunnies. And i kept a mother and two daughters together and once the sisters got to around 8 months they started fighting, so neuter everybun!

Last edited:
Mine are in hutches, and i got them out yesterday and because they live at my boyfriends i dont see them everyday but they're 4 weeks old and i thought becasue the mum has been kept cooped up for 4 weeks i'd get her and her babies out in the run and they were all fine, they were all relaxed and happy and they'r ebeing kept even though i want them to go to new homes cos there isnt enough room in their garden but they're addament, i'll pass on the information thanks for the help and i'll post pictures tonight or tommorow :)

We're only thinking about keeping the girls together but the boy looks really lonley and they were really good friends. thanks anyway :)

Hi, sometimes even the girls fight! My mum Star turned on her 2nd litters and some of those were girls. It is really best to get all the rabbits netured if you are planning a group of rabbits living together. For cancer reasons as well as hormone reasons. good luck with it all x

Sorry to answer your questions, my babies were around 4 wks (from memory) when I let them out for a run (I did let the mum out sooner though without the babies) and I seperate them at 6 weeks because the mum turned on them. It is normally about 8 wks that you need to seperate them and sex the babies.

Hope that helps x

I'm not a million miles from you, so can help with sexing if you not 100% confident (I work near Meadowhall).

I let my free-ad litter (2 buns I picked up gave birth than night) outside at 4 weeks, & from 6 weeks they had permanent room section

Babies need to leave mum at 8 weeks - she might need a break, & she can get pregnant from her sons anytime from 10 weeks -as soon as they are fertile - when their plums drop! I would separate boy babies from sister babies at 10 weeks too at the very latest.

Boy buns needs neutering, & then *can* still be fertile for up to 6 weeks.

There are health benefits to spaying (reduces cancer risk) & can help prevent hormonal aggression between buns.:D Most vets will spay from 5-6 months of age:D

Back