• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Losing condition again

Jazzy B Bunny

Wise Old Thumper
Just done almost a 6 week course of panacur on Jazz and he was starting to put weight and muscle back on, they've been back outside for a week or so after being off their run etc for 4 weeks as reccomeded by the vet. I bleached the hutch also. but now I have stopped the panacur in 5 days you can already feel him getting boney again, should I start the panacur again? the vet doesnt think theres anything else they can do :(

Oh and to add, he is due another dental very soon, but the vets are concerned about putting him under as of all he's been through recently.. I wanted to give his little body a break from all these drugs.. It makes me feel awful, I don't know what to do for the best :cry:

I would be after a blood sample if one hasnt recently been taken. or another one if it was more than 3 wks ago. Just to check kidney function etc.
Goodluck

Thanks,

he had bloods done about 7 weeks ago, showing extemly low blood cells and poor liver function. He has had a long course of bayril, metacam and now panacur. His EC test also came back positive.

I would retest to check the blood cells and liver parameters (and also EC) to see whats changed. It should have improved. The ec may have come along due to the immunosupression. Scanning the liver wouldnt hurt either
Goodluck

Back