• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

How long does a limp brought on by a VHD vaccine last? :/

casu consulto

Mama Doe
I took Edgar for his VHD vaccine yesterday. It was that one that started with a C... Looking back, my vets seem to alternate between the two, though none of my other four have ever shown a reaction. Today Edgar is reluctant to use one of hie forelegs. He's basically not using it at all, but seems perfectly happy in himself. He's eating, hopping around, flopping, etc. I'm obviously keeping an eye on him, and I'm phoning the vets tomorrow to let them know. I'm just wondering how long this will last?

I took Edgar for his VHD vaccine yesterday. It was that one that started with a C... Looking back, my vets seem to alternate between the two, though none of my other four have ever shown a reaction. Today Edgar is reluctant to use one of hie forelegs. He's basically not using it at all, but seems perfectly happy in himself. He's eating, hopping around, flopping, etc. I'm obviously keeping an eye on him, and I'm phoning the vets tomorrow to let them know. I'm just wondering how long this will last?

Cylap vaccine. It lasted just a day with our bunny:( but I think it can last for two. Lapinject for me these days!

That's the one!

Not too long then... I feel all sorry for him, even though he doesn't appear to feel at all sorry for himself. I'm SO insisting on the Lapinject in future. Considering I take all five bunnies there and in doing so must make up a lot of their bunny custom, I think they'll listen, hopefully.

My bun Sophie developed 7 huges open sores around her neck and back after cylap about 5 days after the injection.....HORRID :censored:

Seven of my bunnies developed terrible open sore patches and one still has a bare patch nearly TEN MONTHS later, I don't think that the fur will ever regrow now, so I will NEVER ever use Cylap again!

... Where were these sores? D:
Guess which little bunny is going to be obsessively checked over for any sore spots over the next week? Poor Eddie. It never even occurred to me that they'd be using the Cylap vaccine yesterday. With my other four, the Lapinject was used. Grrr.

Mine were done on September 7th 2008 - the sores were not on the injection site but further down on their sides, mostly between the injection site and the top of their front leg. All but one of mine are OK now, one will always have a bare patch I believe, another took until March until the bare patches stopped - she kept getting new areas on her chest, and another doe who had recovered was spayed in April and her bare patch came back again, vet thinks it was the stress of the op, thankfully the fur re-grew in two to three weeks.

As the day has gone on, he's started to put some weight on his leg and seems more willing to use it, so I HOPE this means it's starting to feel better. I've been reading about it online and it's sort of laughable they won't acknowledge the limp as being a side effect. :? Laughable but... not.

I'm insisting in future that my bunnies are only vaccinated using the Lapinject VHD vaccine. I was looking at their vaccination cards - last year, all four were done with that, but then this year, all four - and now Edgar, too - were done using the Cylap. It's like they switch between the two.

As the day has gone on, he's started to put some weight on his leg and seems more willing to use it, so I HOPE this means it's starting to feel better. I've been reading about it online and it's sort of laughable they won't acknowledge the limp as being a side effect. :? Laughable but... not.

I'm insisting in future that my bunnies are only vaccinated using the Lapinject VHD vaccine. I was looking at their vaccination cards - last year, all four were done with that, but then this year, all four - and now Edgar, too - were done using the Cylap. It's like they switch between the two.

Def not laughable when you get charged over 200 quid for an unnecessary out-of-hours consult and an Xray ...................:roll:

I was reading about how people have been advised by their vets - vets who refuse to admit there is any side effects involving limps - to have their bunny have a GA, be x-rayed, be put on anti-biotics, etc. :? It just seems really baffling that there's so much difficulty getting them to ADMIT this can happen.

Back