• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

New Excel Mature Rabbit Pellets and Gas/Bloat ???????

Jack's-Jane

Wise Old Thumper
Anyone else had problems with a Bun developing gas/bloat after the new Excel Mature Rabbit Pellets ?

I now think they may be what made first Patrick, then Little Bill and now Jake poorly........................:?

I have 3 buns on the mature but only get 6 pellets daily and not had any problems *touch wood*
I have had a few gassy tummies over the past few weeks since giving spring greens again, which i think could be the cause for my lot!!

Hope you get things sorted out and your buns will be ok xxx

I've had a sample and stopped using them because Wesley had a slightly dirty bum and think that might be the cause but I was only feeding two a day as a treat.

Jane, just about to put in a post. We're not at a crisis stage YET but he's off his feed & a bit gassy. GP vet stopped stocking the Burgess rabbit super excell.
Started mixing 25% - 75% of the new Burgess excell tastey nuggets / old on Mon.Wish I took more notice of ingredients.
The new stuff's got soya bean HULLS.
Can only say that when I was slipped some "soya bean PROTEIN" some years ago I had abdo cramps like :censored:

Just back from a tour of the pet shops, Got gripe water, & peppermint tea's cooling down! Apparently Burgess have only changed the packaging & label - it's the same stuff I've been getting all along. But I reckon I'll steer clear of any soya product.

Apparently Burgess have only changed the packaging & label - it's the same stuff I've been getting all along. But I reckon I'll steer clear of any soya product.

Are you sure? They have definitely made some changes to ingredients on some of their foods - their old Excel Guinea Pig food did not contain molasses and the new repackaged version definitely *does*. (I have degus so can't use the new food as they cannot have sugar - I used to use the old version of the food as a 'base').

Anyway; hope your rabbits will be ok x

Oh I had no idea this could happen! As you may have noticed today I posted about one of my two not eating. He seems fine now after some running and massage - they get the excel mature with SS mature everyday.

I won't feed them the excel for a while and see how he gets on.

I have noticed that they leave the excel and only initially eat the ss.

Back