• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Checking bunny bums - advice on handling?

:wave: Can anyone give me some advice on how to check a rabbits bum for fly strike? My 2 are really difficult to pick up at all let alone get anywhere near there bums for a look!:?

I'm just a bit worried, how often are you supposed to check them? What are the signs etc?

Also, does anyone have any advice on bathing rabbits if there bums are particuarly dirty? Or is this not a good idea?

Thanks

:wave: Can anyone give me some advice on how to check a rabbits bum for fly strike? My 2 are really difficult to pick up at all let alone get anywhere near there bums for a look!:?

I'm just a bit worried, how often are you supposed to check them? What are the signs etc?

Also, does anyone have any advice on bathing rabbits if there bums are particuarly dirty? Or is this not a good idea?

Thanks

Ideally you want to check bunny ALL over daily for flystrike - it can affect any part of the body, but more commonly the bottom area. It all depends on whether or not your bunny frequently has faeces caked to their bottom or fur or urine etc...from dietary imbalances or health issues, or how clean you keep their environment. I would recommend daily tidying/cleaning and changing litter trays daily.
Other things like fly killers, sticky paper, fly netting, natural fly deterents like Lavender plants etc...can all help.
You don't really want to bath a rabbit, it is very stressful for them, but if they are dirty you need to keep them clean, a gentle bottom bath in a bowl or sink of warm water using your hands to splash and just water is enough. Or you could even hold their back end under a running tap. But you need to be able to handle your bunny securely for bum checks and washing. Buns must be dried thoroughly to prevent hypothermia.
Be firm, you won't hurt your rabbit if you hold them nice and tight, if you aren't firm enough they will struggle and can do more damage that way to their spines. Have you tried lying your bunnies back in your lap, I find head towards your tummy more secure than head away? Or can you lie on the floor and lift up the tail? If you can get bunny onto your lap the right way up you can just feel around the body all over with your hands, even the bum! :oops: sorry:D But it has to be done! You feel for anything that feels out of place, lumps, bumps, scabs etc... It's a really good idea to get used to how your bunny feels all over by doing a daily health check.
If you really aren't confident then you could get your vet to apply rearguard? Although this just helps, it is no substitute for checking.
If you do have to wash your bun, then try keep as much of bunny dry as possible. If you suspect fly strike - don't wash your bunny, the stress on a compromised rabbit can send them into shock - instead take to vet immediately.

Last edited:
thankfully my bunny is good to be handled, so cant help with that bit, but im currently checking him at least twice a day. I check for any signs of matting or damp or poo. If there is (well my previous bun used to, this ones a clean freak) i bring him indoors and wash with just sterile eye wash water adn dry as best i can, then keep indoors under watch til tis dry and i know nothings causing the mess. If flies have laid eggs, they look like small yellowish oval shapes in the fur (it can happen on completely clean healthy buns) if i found that i would be straight to the vets, every last egg has to be removed. If left the eggs will be small maggots and they very quickly disappear into the fur, so check right down to the skin for any sign of a wound or maggots.

I am worried about this too. My bun is happy to be stroked on her terms, but hates bein picked up, so i tend not to. Noticed when she was out yesterday that her bum was dirty so i waited until she was back in her hutch then tried to scruff her. She went mad. I let her go and stroked and talked to her to calm her down but im at a loss as to what to do. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Nicola x

Back