• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

how quickly do they lose weight

Ted an Petal

Warren Veteran
for whatever reason if your rabbit starts to lose weight can it happen overnight? just i've finally put a few grams onto ralph there but before i used to go out to him and he'd look one day and fatter the next day. with him it doesn't take much for him to back to skinny but just curious as to weather it can rapidly happen or it's slow but you usually don't notice till it's bad.

The fur makes a difference sometimes - if he's the sort of bun to moult in stages, it may be the dead fur underneath pushing out the top coat and making him look fatter. Once he's shed it, he may be looking slimmer than you got used to. Best way of keeping an eye on it is to actually weight him :)

yeah, don't have any scales in the house, usually weigh him down at the vets but he hasn't needed to go in a while.

I weigh mine once a fortnight (once a week if I'm worried for any reason) and enter it in a spreadsheet to keep track of how much they lose/gain and how quickly :oops:

I think you need to get some accurate scales really to monitor his weight. Bunnies do look fatter when they relax into a 'bunny puddle' position.
Rapid weight loss can be down to dehydration xx

Back