• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbit insurance or Vet care plan?

FudgeMallow

Mama Doe
Well im thinking about insurance for Fudge as she has had alot of problems lately but petplan wont cover her dentals but the vet centre i go to has a complete care plan.

It would cost me £7.50 a month and it includes
-Annual vaccinations
-10% discount on normal fees for neutering/spaying and diets and sundries
-10% discount on cost of services: consultations, X-rays, Emergency call outs, blood sampling, surgery, additional vaccs/worming/flea treatment etc.
-no additional charge for use of laser surgery
-Free unlimited access to nurse advice during working hours
-Budget planing for large bills with no interest charged.

Each additional Rabbit costs £6.50

There are more stuff but mainly for cats and dogs but they do an accidentalinjury cover for an extra fee and it covers cost of £2500 per injury with excess of £75!

Seems better than petplan and works out cheaper!
With petplan for the 3 living with me would have been £26 something and with the vets its only £20.50 but i would maybe just get it for Fudge as shes at the vets more often than the others!

What do you think? Does it seem worth it?

Mmmm I think it's quite good. However I've not got it either. I haven't even got an insurance for my rabbit because she is extreamly healthy and she has not had any major health problems in the past, apart from snuffles.

I'm now considering of insuring her but not sure, but I am also considering of taking part of the vet scheme as our vet has got the same scheme as yours. It's cheaper than insurance monthly. Also I suppose it's easier.
But like I said I am unsure because my doe is healthy and I have got a savings account with lots of money for emergency however it is not accessible 24/7 so I can't pay for it whenever I need to. :evil:

But again I am not sure! So sorry if I'm no help. If I was you I'd talk to the vets and ask their recommendation and the pros and cons between vet scheme and insurance.

If your rabbit has got long-term health problems? If so I'd say it's best to insure her. If not then perhaps it's a good idea to join the vet scheme. It's quite useful of having the discounts for their vaccination. As I pay £20 for VHD and £28 for Myxo. :shock:!!!!!!

Also what does the vet scheme do with dentals?

Hope this helps?!

Mmmm I think it's quite good. However I've not got it either. I haven't even got an insurance for my rabbit because she is extreamly healthy and she has not had any major health problems in the past, apart from snuffles.

I'm now considering of insuring her but not sure, but I am also considering of taking part of the vet scheme as our vet has got the same scheme as yours. It's cheaper than insurance monthly. Also I suppose it's easier.
But like I said I am unsure because my doe is healthy and I have got a savings account with lots of money for emergency however it is not accessible 24/7 so I can't pay for it whenever I need to. :evil:

But again I am not sure! So sorry if I'm no help. If I was you I'd talk to the vets and ask their recommendation and the pros and cons between vet scheme and insurance.

If your rabbit has got long-term health problems? If so I'd say it's best to insure her. If not then perhaps it's a good idea to join the vet scheme. It's quite useful of having the discounts for their vaccination. As I pay £20 for VHD and £28 for Myxo. :shock:!!!!!!

Also what does the vet scheme do with dentals?

Hope this helps?!

With dentals the insurance wont pay out for Fudge as she has dental problems and with the vet they will give me discount on her dentals!

It wont cost anything for vaccs as thats included, you pay monthly and dont pay for vaccs:D

Im at the vets tomorrow so will discuss it with him:wave:

With dentals the insurance wont pay out for Fudge as she has dental problems and with the vet they will give me discount on her dentals!

It wont cost anything for vaccs as thats included, you pay monthly and dont pay for vaccs:D

Im at the vets tomorrow so will discuss it with him:wave:

MMMmm then in that case I'd go with the vet scheme especially if the insurance won't pay for your rabbit dentals.

But yeah am glad to hear that you're going to speak to your vets. Let me know the updates please!!

As I'm not sure what to do either!!! :wave:

I'm just about to take out some insurance for Bramble. Will it matter that he's been to the vets recently?

I have just taken out insurance for Maisey and Fizz. Petplan are doing a special and offering 2 months free insurance, so take it out now don't start paying until August. Covered for accident straight away and illness from day 14.

It will depend why the rabbit has been at the vets as to whether it will matter. Maisey for instance had a poorly tummy in April so she won't be covered for that for 3 months from then - then they will review, ask for the all clear from the vet and hopefull hold cover again.

I queried the dental stuff and was told they won't cover anything cosmetic (bang goes that brace Fizz!) or existing problems of course but everything else in the mouth advised by the vet would be covered provided they had had a dental (teeth checked at annual check/vaccination time) within a year of the time the problem arose.

Back