• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Dill still doesn't like us much

willowholly

Mama Doe
I know ive posted threads like this before but somedays[not all]it gets me down.For those who dont know,dill is a year old lop who we adopted 3months ago to be a friend for our 2 1/2 year old frenchie Barley.They get on well,their bond growing all the time.They've never had a squabble & as a friend for b he is just perfect.On the other hand our bond with him has only improved a little.He will jump on us & come to be fed but hates being stroked.All our buns in the past have been from a petshop[never again]or breeder so have always been only a few weeks old.I dont know whether its because he was older[with a past]that he dosn't want to be friends with us,or whether its cos hes a smaller rabbit[only had french lops the last 10years]or whether its cos hes male[only had does for last 15years].Never had 2rabbits before so was wondering if it could be that we didn't get to know him on his own.The thing is,our buns have always been companion buns who want to come to us,watch TV with us.Im not used to having a bun who just uses us for food etc.B went off us for a while when Dill came but luckily that phase seems to have gone.Even in the garden the other day she would sit in the run the same end i was sat & you could see her physically look for us every now & then.Do you think as long as he has B he will never bond with us?

2 of my indoor bunnies(Billy and Bonnie) are much the same....Billy was here first and is a friendly little chap and was here from a baby....Bonnie came to be his girlfriend and was about a year old when I got her,shes not so people friendly but Billy loves her ,shes better than she used to be so maybe given more time Dill will be a bit less anti people?....Bonnie has been here a year now.

I do think that when bunnies are in pairs they tend to rely on people a bit less for company than a single housebunny would and that might be part of your problem too.

I know outside buns need to have company & it doesn't matter if the human bond is not so good but when in doors and are used to your buns following you around,not having this bond is quite hard.Our inside buns have been true companions.I would never have only one bun again but I think i would go about it differently next time-get to know the new bun before bonding.Glad B likes us again though cos there was a time when she didn't want us either & then I really wondered what the point of having them was.:(

...."So will need patience to build his confidence"after being attacked by a buck & left with dreadful wounds.
That was what was said on his original "in need"thread.So patience is what he deserves.I am glad I reread that as I remembered how much he had been through & how much I had wanted him.I need to be more patient with him & not to expect too much of him too soon.
So,here is my beautiful bunny,Dill[aka Compo]showing how stunning he is.

22062009778.jpg

I agree you need to give him time. Wesley was much the same when I got him now he comes to me and demands attention. :D

My cookie is very similar, shes a single bun, indoors. she was fine when i first got her for about 2 days then she really didnt like being touched, i thought it'd be better when she was spayed but she hasnt changed atall. she seemed to be scared by me after she was spayed because she didnt eat for bout 5 days after i had to keep takin her to the vets and gettin her in the carrier was a real trouble and stressfull for her.

though she seems to be gettin alot better, i had feed her pellets everyday and try to rub her nose while shes chewin, and then afterwhile she actualy lets me stroke her, so ive just been doin tht everyday and it seems to be workin, slowly but surely :p

Our wee Lola is like that too. The only time we get to stroke her is when we feed her, then she'll take a wee stroke on the head. Anything else and she'll dodge out the way.

I dont think its an age thing though as we got her from about nine weeks old, and have had her inside from the start. Its just her personality, she's a lot more cautious than Jimmy.

She's about six months old now and spayed, hopefully she'll come round in time.

Your bunny is a stunner by the way, and he looks really happy with your big bun :)

Lucy is not as outgoing as Lola, she hates being picked up and is very food orientated whereas Lola is a very licky loving bun. Lucy is a totally different character to Lola, (I was gob smacked when they bonded). I know Lucy gets her companionship with Lola and is 100% happy. I just thought all buns were as loving as Lola who will lick me to death if she could, any bit of bare flesh gets a good licking!

I had to be so patient with Lucy and she is a totally different bunny now x

Flora and Parsnip are a bit antisocial with me and I've had them over a year now. They are quite shy bunnies and will only really come to me for food. I don't mind as I got them to ensure they had a good forever home, not as company for me. They've got each other and are perfectly happy.

Although it's much nicer for you as an owner when your bunny wants to be with you and snuggle, sometimes it can give you just as 'warm' a feeling to know that you've got a happy, if a little stand-off-ish, bunny.

Strawberry is very sociable but hates being picked up- he just doesnt have the time for cuddles. He is getting worse as he gets older and will kick and fight within seconds of being lifted. Because he is quite small he is really feisty and hard to handle. He will come running to me for attention though and follows me everywhere. Snowdrop will lie in my arms for hours but isnt as confident as Strawberry. She has changed alot since weve had her and now comes running over with Strawberry in search of food!

Back