• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bonding a 4 month old female

Danielle84

Mama Doe
Hi!

Just wondered what people's experiences are with bonding.

We have a 4 and a half month old female who is our first rabbit.

Although she seems really happy and exhibits all of the "happy" behaviour, i think it would be lovely for her to have a little friend.

It does worry us though as she seems so happy would it disrupt 'her space'? She is a netherland dwarf and i am aware that ideally should be bonded with a rabbit of same size and age?

Thanks in advance!

It would be great if you could get her a friend, you will really see the difference. If you go for a rescue then she will need to be spayed before they will even consider you. This is a good idea anyway for various reasons most of all to prevent cancer. A neutered male would be the best option and size and age really don't matter. I have seen an amazing bond between a male dwarf lop and a huge female french lop. My buns are 17 months 3.5 years and 7 years and all live together and get along fine with the closest bond being between the oldest and youngest so you really can never tell.

If you give an idea of area someone may be able to suggest a possible rescue you could use, some even offer a bonding service for a small donation.

Is your female neutered? I would definately get her neutered before trying to bond as at that age hormones start to kick in. Some vets will neuter at that age some prefer to wait until 6 months it very much depends on the vet and the rabbits weight and general health.

With regards to bonding there are people with different sized rabbits bonded quite happily and different aged rabbits happily bonded. Whereabouts in the country are you we can probably point you in the direction of your local rescue who will usually help and most will have a choice of neutered males for you to look at

Thanks!

Thank you for your advice, have also read some other threads on here!

We haven't had her neutered yet, so i guess that's the starting point.

We live in Birmingham so anywhere in the west or east midlands really would be fab.

Just wondered...

Sometimes she bites the cage even when she's been out all day, if we need to put her back in, do you think this may stop if she had a buddy?

She also hops onto our lap and poo's and wees on us. We're trying our best to train her and she does poo in the same place in the lounge, but for some reason loves Paul's lap to poo!! Is this just because she is young or is it an attention thing?

Back