• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Drinking and weeing loads!

BeatrixPotter

Mama Doe
I am a bit concerned about how much Mopsy drinks and wee's. Peter and Mopsy have a large water bowl in their hutch which holds just less than a litre and I have to fill it 2x a day cos its empty. Their litter tray also gets changed that often because its soaking. I have been watching them and I'm pretty sure its Mopsy who's responsible.

I have no other worries about her at all. She is a very lively, happy bun. She eats her hay really well and has pellets in the morning and veg in the evening.

Is this normal or should I me worried/need vets? :?

I am a bit concerned about how much Mopsy drinks and wee's. Peter and Mopsy have a large water bowl in their hutch which holds just less than a litre and I have to fill it 2x a day cos its empty. Their litter tray also gets changed that often because its soaking. I have been watching them and I'm pretty sure its Mopsy who's responsible.

I have no other worries about her at all. She is a very lively, happy bun. She eats her hay really well and has pellets in the morning and veg in the evening.

Is this normal or should I me worried/need vets? :?

It would probably be a good idea to get her checked out as it could be indicative of a kidney problem. It may be the case you have caught it early and theres a good chance treatment could help as it can be quite a degenerative disease. Im not trying to worry you - just provide a possibility of what it is. If it were my bunny i'd probably like to get her checked over

Oh goodness! I was worried it could be something to do with her kidneys. I will get her an appointment. Does it need to be asap or will within the next few days be ok?

She is 5 months old and was the runt of the litter.

Edited to add: I have made her an appointment for tomorrow morning. The vet thought she ought to be checked.

Last edited:
Personally I don't worry too much at this time of year when bunnies drink massively, especially if they are like mine and love their hay.

When a bunny loves hay and eats loads of it, it will drink a lot of fluid to compensate for the drying effect. Plus it is very hot at the moment and the bunnies do know that they need to keep hydrated.

All of our bunnies have large dog bowls or casserole dishes and I need to fill them all up at least twice a day at the moment. (The poos give it away too as they are large indicating loads of hay being consumed and therefore the need to drink more).

If this doesn't describe your situation Becky, then it wouldn't hurt to get her checked out but it will require blood tests to check for kidney function.

Hope she's okay!

Helen

Personally I don't worry too much at this time of year when bunnies drink massively, especially if they are like mine and love their hay.

When a bunny loves hay and eats loads of it, it will drink a lot of fluid to compensate for the drying effect. Plus it is very hot at the moment and the bunnies do know that they need to keep hydrated.

All of our bunnies have large dog bowls or casserole dishes and I need to fill them all up at least twice a day at the moment. (The poos give it away too as they are large indicating loads of hay being consumed and therefore the need to drink more).

If this doesn't describe your situation Becky, then it wouldn't hurt to get her checked out but it will require blood tests to check for kidney function.
Hope she's okay!

Helen

Thanks Helen,
She does eat loads of hay and has HUGE poo's so maybe I don't need to worry. I will still get her checked out to be sure though. The amount of wee is quite startling! They have a big cat litter tray which I changed last night at about 9pm. When I went out this morning at 7am it was heavy with the amount of wee in there. While I was changing the tray she wee'd on the newspaper, typical!, and its a yellowy colour and cloudy. Thats normal isnt it?

Back