• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Wierd Question? About Rabbits and Hares.

Isis

Mama Doe
I went out yesterday afternoon to the beach, and thought we'd take a drive down a road. That's when I saw my first hare, I was just wondering if hares get myxie like rabbits do?

I don't think they do - different species. But recently heard on here that a "Belgian hare", is really a type of rabbit so I'm a bit :? to put it mildly.

Belgian hares are rabbits so yeah they can, they're just bred to look like hares.
But seeing that hare yesterday made me think if hares could get myxie also.

But the hare was gorgeous though :love:

Thank you guys for putting me straight,re Belgian Hares being rabbits! Got it at last :D
Our wild hares are lovely - don't have burrows, don't get myxi, but like so much of our native wild life, have less & less living space as mans' concrete jungle expands.

There was a wild hare living in the field opposite me a few months back. It was STUNNING!!
Haven't seen it for a while though because the farmer is growing some kind of straw/hay thing in that field so the grass is stupidly tall.

Where we live (Vale of York) we see more hares than rabbits in the fields. The odd thing about them is they don;t hop, but walk (or run!) One of the weirdest things I ever saw was a couple of years back, at night but it was a full moon so very light... I looked out of the bedroom window, and saw a hare just strolling casually down the centre of the lane, outside the house. It looked for all the world like a person going for a little midnight walk... It made me realise why there are all those old folktales about witches turning into hares, etc. There is something very human about them...

Hares are our native animal, the rabbits an import, too!

In March you really do see the hares boxing, out in the fields.

Back