• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Eye removal

ShazzaBunny

Warren Veteran
I posted back in Feb about my bunny Summer. She has ulcers UNDER her cornea's and has had since before we got her.

Her right eye is the worst and she is completly blind in it. However, under the cornea she has always had a lump which i suppose is best described as a white head spot :?. It has not bothered her but recently it started getting worse. It has not pierced through the cornea :(.

We had her at the vet today and it has been decided to go ahead with removal as we do not want the eye to rupture.

Can anyone tell me about their eye removal experiences. I know it wont bother Summer in the way that she does not have sight, so wont miss it. But is it a serious operation? What sort of aftercare does she need etc etc?

She is booked in for 2nd July and until then is on baytril.

Orlando had an eye removed aged 4. He's now 7 and a very contented little bunny. I think he was on anti biotics afterwards and pain relief but it healed up fast and doesn't seem to affect him at all. He can still notice food approaching at 20 paces!! It's probably a less serious op than some stomach/internal ops they can have. The vet offered us that option or PTS. We went for the op and he's had 3 happy and healthy years, and is still going strong!! Hope that helps!! :wave:

:lol: i will stress over it, but thanks for the reasurance. Kyri made an amazing recovery :D. Success stories always help in these situations.

I really dont mind how Summer looks (though naturally i think i will feel my stomach turn a bit at the initial result) as long as she is ok. She is a special girly, as are all my buns.

I am now praying she will not worsen before next week as my vet is on holiday, and while his locum is fine and experienced, i dont trust her like i trust my usual vet, i really want the op done by him, not her :roll:. But if needs be she will get it done sooner.

Tinsel, that helps a lot, thank you :D :D :D

Im sure Summer will be just fine, but like everyone else, i worry a lot :roll: :lol:

I know you will stress, thats natural, but I meant don't stress over her long term life prospects as that side of it is the easy bit. they recover so well it's amazing. I think it's just really hard to see them go through the surgery.

I know you will stress, thats natural, but I meant don't stress over her long term life prospects as that side of it is the easy bit. they recover so well it's amazing. I think it's just really hard to see them go through the surgery.

Ah, sorry i misunderstood. I rekon she will be ok long term. She is such a placid bunny, so laid back she is horizontal, until its time to go in from the run, then she shows her cheeky streak :lol:. But she never makes a fuss about anything, so in that respect she will be fine.

She will probably be happier without the eye too, she must struggle to close her eye as it is with the sticky out bit etc. And like i say, she is used to being blind in that eye.

But yes, its not a nice thing to experience for us, as you know yourself ;). Thanks, it really does help having people who understand.

I was really shocked to see Kyri after the surgery, so you just have to prepare yourself for the first time you see them. When one of our bunnies had his eye out recently it didn't look as bad to me as Kyri's did.

I think that will be the worst bit, like you said Lucy, no matter how much we mentally prepare it will still be a shock. I have never seen that in "real life" only in pictures which i am guessing wont fully prepare me for it.

Kyri was pretty withdrawn for a few days, but overall it was worth it as those few days are a miniscule part of her total life. You just feel like you want to make it all better for them, but rest and love gets them through.

Hiya,
My sisters rabbit Ralph had to have an eye removed last year after he has a parasite in it caused I think by EC (I may be wrong tho!) his eye went white with a yellow strip down it and the vet to leave it unless it becomes an issue i.e ulcers. A few months after being on a long course of Panacue he started to get ulcer so had the eye removed straight away. He's not had a problem at all as he was blind in it anyway his sight doesn't bother him, Fifi can make him jump if she approaches him from his blind side but thats it. It all healed really quickly and there were no complications at all. The vet said it's quite a straight forward operation although can be a bit fiddly. As Ralph is soooo fluffy u can't actually tell that he only has one eye as the fluff covers the blind side.

Sure your bunny will be fine, good luck :)

Thank you very much Lucy, you have been a great help and support :D

Aimee, thank you for sharing your experience. Hearing true stories is an incredible help. Summer really doesn't bother about being approached, so i am very lucky in that respect.

Just seen this, i do hope Summer will be fine :D

Sending her a nose rub everyday until she feels better :love::love: and giles too:oops:

My friend had a one eyed dog and cat and they got on fine after:D
Will be thinking about her on the second xx

Back