• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How do you afford bunnies?

FudgeMallow

Mama Doe
Not being nosey but just wondered how people afford vet fees etc.

I work weekends and do over time when possible and i save every penny i can :oops: When i have vet bills to pay i have money saved but if its over 150 i have to pay monthly or my bf pays and i pay him back!

Do you sometimes struggle? I do but i manage and like i said before save EVERY penny :D

I do with the rescue yes. On friday I was £200 in credit with the vets, by monday I was £60 in the red which I paid for, dont mind doing it now and again. I not have no funds so need my thinking cap on to raise more, still have 3 which need neutering and a load vaccinated against VHD. Its amazing how I find the money when I am not working as much at the moment. I dont spend a penny on anything else unless I need to and you will be amazed how that works. Ive stopped going out, buying clothes, eating out etc etc. It all mounts up.

I have to say a combination of luck and a very cushy situation. All 4 have not needed vet treatment so far. I check them over every week to make sure teeth etc are ok to try and prevent anything going too far, I have money saved incase they all get ill at ones, and I don't have a morgage or rent to pay, so after bills, my money is my own.

Luckily if we are struggling our vet is normally understanding but id say a good portion of our money goes on buns - happily of course! :D

I spend a lot of time foraging in the hedgerows for their fresh food...I get their chew toys free from work.

I've cut down on all other expenditure to save for vets bills and i have an agreement with my mum that she will sub me if I need vet money cos I'm on an apprenticeship at the min and don't earn much....haven;t needed to call that in yet though :)

I put a portion of money away into an ISA every month-my emergency vet fund for Sophie and my 10 piggies :D

We struggle to pay all the bills, and Mike pays for most of it, but we wouldn't have it any other way. Our biggest concern is trying not to reach the stage where we can't pay the bills, which is where we are pretty much at.

Didn't get my buns til I was 24 and in a well paid job and din't get the last bun til the OH was back in work after being made redundant. I also have the rabbit care plan at my vet where you pay £60 up front per bun and get all vaccs, worming, teeth+ nail checks+ rearguard which helps as I know when each plan runs out and you can spread the payments out if you need to.

I'm a bit of a saver I put money aside in a separate account each month for emergencies i.e. car trouble, vet fees, and I also insure both bunnies so anything major hopefully it will cover it. I grow my own veg for the bunnies and bulk buy hay and things for them.

its simple I can't afford them all the rabbits I have had have had so many health problems they have cost a fortune, apart from Splodge bless him who must be the fittest rabbit on the planet (quickly touches wood! :shock: ) :D

edit: on a serious note I do put £40 each month into a vet account for bills but it is well and truely empty at the moment!

Im very lucky, my vet is good to me with prices etc. I try and pay everything from my wages and just go without other luxuries, but if needed i have savings :D. The way my buns have been getting ill lately it is a struggle, but i dont mind at all, bunnies always come first.

I spend very little on anything else.

Don't go on holiday much, don't go out much. Sofa cost me a quid on ebay.

That kind of thing. :lol:

Since we've adopted so many, I've stopped having a social life, buying clothes, eating out, going to the pub, having takeaways & pretty much anything else that costs money :lol: That said, our vets are a godsend because they do give us 20% discount off everything & never charge us consultation fees :D Good job really otherwise we'd be bankrupt :shock:

I budget $100 for the bunnies every month. Whatever they don't use of that gets tucked away for a rainy bun day. So far, I've had no serious health issues with either of them, so I've been very lucky as well. *knock on wood*

But they are definitely far more of an expense than I'd ever imagined. And also brought me far more love than I ever imagined they could. It all balances out. :)

Hubby put €300 a month in a savings account. From this come our holidays, vet bills, Crimbo presents etc. It works out fine. The most we have had to pay at any given time was €225 for the hutch (which the swines never use:roll:) and €200 for an emergency Friday night vet appointment for a non-eating Huppie. I guess we only know what would be too much for us when faced with the bill. At the moment we have 'pay it, end of story' but there was one lady on here who paid £1000 for a brain op. I don't think we could find that kind of money :cry:

I am lucky though, I have a hubby that will give stuff up rather than say no to something the bunnies needed :lol:

I of course spend every penny I don't have on them!

Emma

Back