• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

I feel terrible!!

ostaragirl

Warren Scout
I have had what I thought was 2 does living together since they were 12 weeks old. The lady I got them from said they were female and I had it confirmed by the vet. They are now nearly 6 months. I thought one of them was having a phantom pregnancy until last night.
About a week ago she built a nest under a plastic box and when I went to move the run I found that she has had a litter:cry:
I think she had them about a week ago as she was under it making squeaking noises and then came out and seemed ok. I haven't the heart to look and see how many but I saw 2 moving.
I feel awful and confused as to what to do now.

I have had what I thought was 2 does living together since they were 12 weeks old. The lady I got them from said they were female and I had it confirmed by the vet. They are now nearly 6 months. I thought one of them was having a phantom pregnancy until last night.
About a week ago she built a nest under a plastic box and when I went to move the run I found that she has had a litter:cry:
I think she had them about a week ago as she was under it making squeaking noises and then came out and seemed ok. I haven't the heart to look and see how many but I saw 2 moving.
I feel awful and confused as to what to do now.

Oh dear :cry:

She may well be pregnant again as the Buck will have mated her after she gave birth.

You really must check the nest. It will need cleaning now and their may be dead kits which will pose a real risk re disease.

So sorry to hear about this unfortunate mix-up in sexing your buns :(

If you haven't already done so, you should remove the buck to give mum and babies some room. He should be clearly distinguishable as a male now as his plums will be visible when you lift him up and look. Also it will make sure that he can't mate with her again if there are another lot on their way.

I suggest that you get both neutered and try re-bond them together later as a pair when all of the babies (and possible future babies) are out of the way and when they have had some time to recover from their neutering operations.

Good luck hun!

Oh dear :cry:

She may well be pregnant again as the Buck will have mated her after she gave birth.

You really must check the nest. It will need cleaning now and their may be dead kits which will pose a real risk re disease.

I separated them so lets hope she isn't pregnant again. I'm scared to look in case I spook her or something. I had a quick peek and I could see the marking of her fur on them so they must be about a week old. Would it be passed the stage of spooking her? I'm scared she will kill them or something?

I've just looked and there is 4 kits. They are all snuggled up and she is fortifying the nest with more hay.

Back