• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Help!! Male rabbits!

ClaireEmily

New Kit
Hey
Hey there

Im in abit of a situation with my bunnys!After discovering Domino was infact male and having him seperated for a few weeks ( until i was payed so i could get him spayed) ive just discovered the black one is also Male, now i have one cross guinpig who has been picked on so to speak, who was only with the bunny until i could put the rabbits back together ( i only have 2 hutches )

Any advice on how to re introduce/ re house the two monsters together? Will they end up fighting? Would you recommend spaying them both? Or will they keep on trying to hump each other :lol:

I would really like to rehouse them together they where best buddies at one point! Now im just a tadd confused!

Cheers

Hey
Hey there

Im in abit of a situation with my bunnys!After discovering Domino was infact male and having him seperated for a few weeks ( until i was payed so i could get him spayed) ive just discovered the black one is also Male, now i have one cross guinpig who has been picked on so to speak, who was only with the bunny until i could put the rabbits back together ( i only have 2 hutches )

Any advice on how to re introduce/ re house the two monsters together? Will they end up fighting? Would you recommend spaying them both? Or will they keep on trying to hump each other :lol:

I would really like to rehouse them together they where best buddies at one point! Now im just a tadd confused!

Cheers

Neuter both. Wait a few week until the hormones settle then rebond in a neutral space. It may work, it may not but it's worth a try.

Would definately get the boys castrated as soon as their testicals have descended which is about 12 - 18 weeks for normal sized rabbits. I would then suggest waiting a minimum of 6 weeks before then trying to bond them as this time frame will allow their hormones to start to drop, some boys will still remain hormonal for a while after this time frame.

You then need to rebond them on totally neutral territory in a restricted space, there is no guarantee that rebond will work.

Hmm it's tricky isn't it. The longer they are apart the more they will lose the bond they had - but they must both be neutered or they will hurt eachother eventually. I would get them neutered - keep them as close to each other as you can hutch wise. Then try to rebond after 6 weeks as suggested.

An urgent thing for you to address is the guinea pig! He really isn't safe living with a bunny at all - least of all an un-neutered male.

Please please get your piggle a temporary cage/hutch. You could buy an indoor cage (at least 1m long) for the piggle, as you can then re-use it for your buns to rebond in. Two birds one stone - piggle gets his own place and you gain a neutral bonding area. It is always useful to have an indoor cage to hand for buns over bonfire night etc too.

Good Luck :wave:

Yeah thanks i think i will do that! The piggle has had a big enough shock today, i feel for the poor thing! I'm gonna nip to the shops now to get a indoor hutch! And ive booked the rabbits in the vets tomorrow just to double check that there ok for the procedure, i'm really worried after what happened to my last bunny that i sent to be spayed =( But it has to be done...

I no the chances of them dying because of the procedure are slim, but i suppose its happened once... Ah i dunno! Sounds abit silly huh!!! But the vets they are headed =)

Thank you :)

Back