• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Advice needed - complete change for bun

Mr Cookie Bun

Mama Doe
:wave: Need some advice please. Around the end of August i might be moving house. At the moment Cookie lives outside in a hutch and run. If we move he will have to become a house bun. The house has a shared yard which isn't particularly secure so he'll have a lot less "outside" time than he's used to. He would also be living with a 22 month old german shepherd who is very well behaved but is still very excitable like most other german shepherds. Where we'd be moving to is also about a 5 hour drive away so I need advice on travelling, introducing him to the dog and helping him adjust from being an outside bun to a house bun. Also, would it be best to keep him in one room until he's used to being inside? All advice gratefully received :D

Hi there :wave:

For the journey I would feed as much as possible before and take some tasty treats/fresh herbs with you. Stop often, as my bunny hates when the vehicle is moving.

Try to keep the car cool, cover the travelling box with a towel or something similar (obviously leaving ventilation) so that is it dark in the box so the bunny feels more secure. Put the radio on low or talk to the bunny.

5 hours is a very long time for a bunny to travel in a car, maybe visit your vet for some professional advice on how to make it less stressful.

With regards to dog and bunny, I know some people have has success with introducing but I personally would not risk it at all, keep them completely separate. Can the bunny perhaps have a spare room? Rabbits are prey animals and can get frightened very easily. For example Biscuit's room is upstairs in our house, the door was closed but when we had visitors with a dog she went mad thumping her feet and got really upset.

With regards to adjusting to being a house bunny, there should not be any problems at all, Biscuit used to be an outdoor bunny and now lives like a princess indoors.

Good luck with the move, we have also recently moved house, very stressful for us and bunny.

:wave: Thanks for your advice :D Unfortunatly we won't have a spare room but there is a small utility room that won't be used that we could possibly adapt to become a bunny room. Off to look at some indoor set-ups now x

Back