• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

After being on this forum for a few months...

PrincessPinky

Mama Doe
Ive decided i think i feed my rabbits to much pellets. They are on Excel nuggets food, and i fill there rabbit dish full every day, they also have loads of veggies and constant hay all day,

How much pellets should i be feeding them?

There bowl is usually mounted high! But they are always hungry and eat them all. :roll:

All of ours, regardless of size or weight get about an egg cup full each rabbit per day - that's all as it's a top up to hay and veg only.

If a bun needs a wee bit more then that's what they get.

Hay, hay and more hay!

All of ours, regardless of size or weight get about an egg cup full each rabbit per day - that's all as it's a top up to hay and veg only.

Hay, hay and more hay!

I completely agree with this. Too many pellets can cause a bun not to eat enough hay and this can cause horrendous teeth problems which will cost you a packet in vet bills and ultimately will probably shorten their lives. Good luck with reducing them :wave:

Mine each get a very small handful of SS nuggets. It doesn't even cover the bottom of one of those brown 'Rabbit' letter bowls. They get a few more during the day but this is only bribary to get them back into the run on an evening/call them into the house when there is a cat or danger around the garden. I figured it was healthier to use pellets than treats since they love them just as much :D I once tried to use the rattle of the pellet tub to bribe them and gave them hay instead and they were not at all amused so won't be doing that again :lol:

The only other things they get are piles of hay (mix of expensive timothy and standard pet shop hay) and access to fresh grass 24/7. They don't really get any other greens aside from what they can find in the garden, maybe a carrot each once a week or so but thats it :oops:

Last edited:

Hay, hay and more hay!

So for 2 rabbits living together, i would need 2 egg cups full then??:)

So for 2 rabbits living together, i would need 2 egg cups full then??:)

sounds about right, one in the morning and one in the evening (I feed mine about 7am and 7pm give or take). Having said that, I am going to start cutting down on even that as I am worrying they are getting too much to eat :roll:

Don't forget the hay, hay and more hay...

A small handful per day for my small and medium sized bunnies, a large handful for my large ones and giants.

Vera

I am reducing Sophies pellets (excel) gradually with a view to stopping them altogether in a bid to up her intake of hay :)

Mine have 2 coffee scoops each, in the morning and at bedtime.
They're both on the bigger side (around the 4-5 kilo area) and are on excel lite (cause Blue is a fattie). I'm thinking of putting Ollie onto the normal excel though...she seems a bit little for a frenchie doe.

Mine have one small handful between them in a morning and evening. Its probably about 2 tablespoons. They eat loads of hay and are both on no veg at the minute while we sort Snowdrop out.

small handful for eric as he was quite underweight and used to scoff everything (especially hay) but since i have introduced more veg and herbs (he's 6 months old now:D), he has naturally cut down on his pellets - i'm hoping this is ok as he still loves his hay (not sure how to measure the amount he actually eats tho as it kind of gets scatttered everywhere - messy boy:roll:)

Sooty is on a strict 6 (yes 6 not 7!) pellets a day as she is a bit of a chubber :oops:

Poor Sooty with the nasty mummy who starves her. Just kidding :lol:, it's great that you have her diet so finely tuned, she's a lucky girl really.

Mine get pellet rations now - I have gotten over the guilt complex! Lucy was turning into a bit of a porker - they seem to be doing better for it.

Thanks Rhian :D

Wendy, she really is losing weight, you would really notice a difference :D She even goes for the occasional hop round :shock::lol:

Not bad going for an 8 yr old bun though :D

I would definately cut back when I first got the girls they hardly ate any hay and I realise now it was partly because they had a constant supply of pellets. CHloe did develop slight spurs because of this luckily I had some dietry training from Fatfluffs and they are now brilliant hay eaters. Mine get 2 small handfulls between the four of them once a day and thats it

Thanks Rhian :D

Wendy, she really is losing weight, you would really notice a difference :D She even goes for the occasional hop round :shock::lol:

Not bad going for an 8 yr old bun though :D

i don't think she was big anyway:( just gorgeous:D i wouldn't want to hop around in this heat tho!

Back