• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How can you keep bunnies cool?

ive got a couple of paving slabs i lay in the bed part of the hutch on rotation (one in the shade cooling, one in the hutch for him to lay on). My little monster is now enjoying the fresh one i put in. lasts only about an hour, and takes more like 2 to get cool, but he seems to like it. because the hutch is on a patio i hose down every few hours and it cools everything for a bit too.

His hutch is on patio too, and the hutch is in shade, I thought of hosing but the water would was away the hay he deags out

frozen pop bottles, ice pods (if you have them), i hose the shed down to keep it cool and hose the patio area in the run too! :) I also spray the bunnys ears

It's boiling today isn't it! I put the bun in his run on some paving stones with a parasol shading him and plenty of water. It was way too hot in his hutch.

Same as most people with ice pods, tiles etc. Also a white sheet on top of hutch to reflect the sun as much as poss. And in extreme heat, we roll out the room fan and put it in the garden for them to lie in front of. They usually turn over the mud to lie in damp patches

does anyone use the ice pods?

are they any good? how long do they stay cold for? and do you put them in the freezer before you use them?

Pets at home have got them on offer at the moment by the way!!! :wave:

As well as this I use buscuit tins with ice packs in,the buns seem to curl around them or lie on top of them. I also put them ontop of the cage which catches the hot air going up and cools it sending it back down again, like mini air conditioning system

Is any one prepared to do an experiment - should work well? I'm absolutely "done in" & don't see me ever being up to doing it myself.

Theory - a) buns also getting hot by breathing hot air so need a "cool house hutch".
b) can cool environment down a lot simply by letting water evaporate (like the patio flags mentioned)

Need to make a suitably large enclosed "box" with bunny door (no wire). Protect wood with eg perspex. A lot of water absorbant material over roof, sides & back, ensure bunny can't eat it! Ideally arrange for water to trickle into it VERY slowly e.g. garden hose only just on, stoppered & chewed by a puppy! Should get a substantial temp. drop inside where bunny can lie up on a hot day.

Before fridges we soaked a large crock in water (yep -I know - I sure feel like one!) & put it over milk butter etc. As the water evaporated in the heat, the temp fell enough to keep dairy produce fresh.

Any takers to help our rabbits please?

Back