• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

URGENT**stasis-what remedies work!UPDATE KEPT IN FOR XRAY

bunny mad lisa

Mama Doe
hiya
my bunny Jasmine has been in stasis since yesterday teatime. She has had numerous doses of infacol and tummy rubs. She seemed worse this morning and has been to the vet where she was given gut stimulant and pain relief. I am taking her back at 2pm and if there is no change we were considering an x-ray. The vet could feel gas at the top and possible impaction at the bottom although small which she thought was probably droppings.
we have both heard of so many remedies to help-pineplle juice,liquid parafinolive oil, aloe vera juice but not sure which way to go!
I'd like to hear what you have tried that has worked!
thanks

Last edited:
Did your vet give sub-cut fluids and zantac too? If she hasn't had sub-cuts already she may be dehydrated and might need to go on a drip.

Everyone has different views, did the vet give you any advice?
When Milo was poorly the vet told me to keep him hydrated by syringe feeding cool boiled water into him, this is important, as anything in the guts can "dry" out and become hard for the bunny to pass. Also try and keep her moving around.

Hopefully someone with more knowledge with be able to help you, hope she soon recovers.

she didn't have any fluids at the vet but i have been syringing her water as much as possible which she is taking. She hasn't eaten since yesterday and haven't seen any droppings. My vet wanted to give the gut stimulant a chance to work before going for an x-ray as that could make matters worse! thats why i'm going back later.

it's just so hard to know what to do for the best!

Hi there sorry to hear about Jasmine, hope she makes a speedy recovery.

Biscuit has had stasis 4 times now, each varying in how serious.

Tummy rubs, have to be pretty firm, when vet demonstrated to us we were definetely not doing it correctly.

What helps Biscuit is:
- Tummy rubs
- Infacol
- Heated rabbit pad
- Keep her moving, doesn't like this but this helps a lot
- Tempting with fresh herbs, she also loves plantain
- Metacam (pain relief, vet injects a different one, but we are always given metacam to take home, bunnies will not eat even if in a tiny amount of pain or discomfort).

- My FB friend vicky said that cold herbal tea works really well with her bunnies to get some fluid into them.

Good luck

P.S Last month Biscuit had an xray and her spurs removed.

Last edited:
Are you sure she's definately had pain relief? What time did you take her to the vets, normally the vet can feel whether they have poo's in their tum - or if it's empty, have you got her indoors, sometimes it's better to put them in a room they are not used to so they move around more, also try using another rabbits litter tray with some of their poos in.

Have you any dandelions in the garden or Basil, to try and tempt her?

thanks for all the advice so far.
she has had pain relief at 9 this morning and she also had somelast night. i have tried tempting her with all kinds of food and she doesn't want to know. I have tried to get her to move but she is so reluctant. I have just given her anogther tummu rub and there is more gas now.
i have read buscapan and zantac are used. i rellly think it's the gas we need to deal with but my vet hadn't used zantac in rabbits before and wasn't sure that it would deal with the gas but just help prevent ulcers.

I'm Clare's friend Vicky and my bunnies have had this too. This is just what we do:
Last month our girl had exactly this, a lower impaction (faeces) and an associated bloat as a result. The most important thing we found was hydration and pain relief first. Followed by gut motility drugs Metclopramide and Zantac - we used both - get the whole tract going. I know an Xray can be very important to rule out the occasions when gut stimulants are not appropriate, but if your vet can feel the impaction lower down, as was with ours, the metclopramide and zantac should be helpful. We used oral paediatric metclopramide and were giving it 3x a day. All vets have their own way they like to treat this condition. The emergency vet said 2x a day for the metclopramide but our reg vet I know says 3x so I did that.
The infacol is definitely very helpful for the gas in the tummy you can give it 3x a day and more if necessary, as are the tummy rubs as Clare says. You need to do the tummy rubs before every syringe feed and like Clare says - make your bunny hop around - I know it feels cruel but it's for their own good, exercise helps gut motility.
Finally are you feeding your bunny by syringe? You absolutely have to get food inside your bun if she is not eating herself... did the vet give you some syringe food? Critical Care? You have to work out the amount per your bun's weight and get as much in as you can close to that, all the time encouraging your bunny to self feed with tempting veggies/leaves - I find fresh strongly scented herbs are the best thing - you have to wave it in their face and really encourage them. I syringe feed every 2-3 hours anything between 10-20ml of syringe food (my buns weigh 1.5-2kg), or as much as they will take. You can mix in baby food or pureed fruit to make it more palatable. Jasmine will also need to be kept warm and quiet in between these sessions.
Don't panic, really important to stay calm, it can take several days to get the tummy going from stasis, I agree with your vet to just give the gut motility drugs a chance for now but your bunny must have them regularly, alongside regular pain relief, fluids and absolutely as much food as you can get down! Good luck:)

I know you will feel really mean but gently push her so that she moves around the room, moving really does help the gut move.

The look that Biscuit gives us is heartbreaking but she soon forgives us when she is feeling better.

Edited: Vicky just beat me to this lol

Last edited:
is she sure it's just dropping? Or is it carpet or furniture fiber? Did you notice any piece of furniture missing? Does your bun like to chew carpet?

If it's just gas, then get 2 ml of infacol every few hr.

The fact that she's taking your water is a good sign. Did you have to force the water in, or does she lead forward and try to suck the water? i.e., does she appears eager for the water? Also, I would switch to pineapple juice, it induces her diet. I don't care much for water myself

this link is on GI stasis:

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=124510

Zantac protects the tummy against the effects of the NSAID and it is a gut motility agent in rabbits, it acts on a different part of the GI tract to metclopramide.
Did your vet give Vetergesic or Metacam by injection? They are different class drugs and you can actually give both together without any probs. It sounds like you might need to pop back to the vet for another check up and more drugs, and perhaps some sub-cut fluids for later today.

I'm Clare's friend Vicky and my bunnies have had this too. This is just what we do:
Last month our girl had exactly this, a lower impaction (faeces) and an associated bloat as a result. The most important thing we found was hydration and pain relief first. Followed by gut motility drugs Metclopramide and Zantac - we used both - get the whole tract going. I know an Xray can be very important to rule out the occasions when gut stimulants are not appropriate, but if your vet can feel the impaction lower down, as was with ours, the metclopramide and zantac should be helpful. We used oral paediatric metclopramide and were giving it 3x a day. All vets have their own way they like to treat this condition. The emergency vet said 2x a day for the metclopramide but our reg vet I know says 3x so I did that.
The infacol is definitely very helpful for the gas in the tummy you can give it 3x a day and more if necessary, as are the tummy rubs as Clare says. You need to do the tummy rubs before every syringe feed and like Clare says - make your bunny hop around - I know it feels cruel but it's for their own good, exercise helps gut motility.
Finally are you feeding your bunny by syringe? You absolutely have to get food inside your bun if she is not eating herself... did the vet give you some syringe food? Critical Care? You have to work out the amount per your bun's weight and get as much in as you can close to that, all the time encouraging your bunny to self feed with tempting veggies/leaves - I find fresh strongly scented herbs are the best thing - you have to wave it in their face and really encourage them. I syringe feed every 2-3 hours anything between 10-20ml of syringe food (my buns weigh 1.5-2kg), or as much as they will take. You can mix in baby food or pureed fruit to make it more palatable. Jasmine will also need to be kept warm and quiet in between these sessions.
Don't panic, really important to stay calm, it can take several days to get the tummy going from stasis, I agree with your vet to just give the gut motility drugs a chance for now but your bunny must have them regularly, alongside regular pain relief, fluids and absolutely as much food as you can get down! Good luck:)

Brilliant post Vicky, you always manage to explain it so well and clearly :D:wave:

thank so much Vicky, that helps alot and has cleared a few things up for me.
Thanks evryone else too, it helps to have your support!
i am very concerned about x-raying her as was my vet so i think maybe we should carry on with the drugs and gets some zantac and fluids for her too. I will have a good chat with the vet later and see what we think.
i have been doing tummy rubs but they don't seem to be shifting any gas. I know in the past with gas i have heard gurgling when the infacol is working but her stomach is very quiet which worries me.
I am trying to make her move around but i am worried about stressing her too!!
I'm trying to keep calm but i have lost a bunny to this before and i can bare to lose her!! it stressing me out just knowing what to do for the best.

When my Frank had a 'do' I syringe fed cooled nettle, peppermint or chamomile tea. He lapped it up and it was easier getting fluid down him x

i have been doing tummy rubs but they don't seem to be shifting any gas.

Just keep going, our girls tummy was very bloated and it would subside and then come back on and off for two days, we just kept up with the tummy rubs - atleast 5 mins long before every set of meds and syringe feeds, do the meds first, as if she gets fed up atleast you've got those in, and then the feed and perhaps some more cooled boiled water - I really found cooled peppermint and camomile tea was great, as our bun was refusing to swallow anything until I produced the herbal tea in a syringe! After all that pop her down on the ground and encourage her to hop around for 5 mins. Then pop her back to bed with something to keep her warm. Whilst you're syringeing keep offering her some freshly washed leaves. I'd definitley give the herbs a try. Whenever mine have this they only want to eat the things they have 'never' tried before...wierd! Last time Poppy would only eat Rosemary and Artichoke leaves - I dipped them in the herbal tea sometimes to get them nice and wet. Don't force the issue but don't give up.
I personally think this is too serious for things like pineapple juice and liquid paraffiin, I can't imagine it would do any harm but I would be giving the full strength meds, fluids and syringe foods at this stage. You have got to shift that impaction by rehydrating it and stimulating the gut. All the best, keep us updated and if in doubt - go back to your vet asap:)
You might find this article helpful http://www.bio.miami.edu/hare/ileus.html

just been to my vet and she had decided not to x-ray until she felt jasmines stomach. The gas had built up more and she was very concerned how quickly this had happened and so decided to go ahead with the x-ray as we need to know whats going on i there!
I am terrified as she talked about the possibility of opening her up if she finds something and i know thats highly risky!
she's going to ring me when she has the xray results to discuss where to go next....

just been to my vet and she had decided not to x-ray until she felt jasmines stomach. The gas had built up more and she was very concerned how quickly this had happened and so decided to go ahead with the x-ray as we need to know whats going on i there!
I am terrified as she talked about the possibility of opening her up if she finds something and i know thats highly risky!
she's going to ring me when she has the xray results to discuss where to go next....

Huge bunny vibes to you, hope everything goes ok xxx

Gosh, I hope your bunny is ok, sending lots of get well wishes!!:)

Lisa, if the tummy is that blown up and the chances are that she won't survive an op :cry: then get the vet to try the Buscopan. I can honestly say it's been a lifesaver on more than one occasion here.

Back