• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Sophie not pooed after spay 24 hours ago, should I worry yet?

Saucepot

Alpha Buck
As the title really :? She is eating quite well, I am hand feeding her various veg and herbs and she is eating some, last night she ate nearly all her veg. She has had a few pellets and a little weetabix. She had 2 drops metacam last night before I went to bed and 2 this morning. She has done a small wee but no poos at all.

I have baytril to give her as a preventive measure at 0.2ml once a day but I haven't started that as not keen at least until she is pooping...I was thinking of giving it until after lunch and if no poos, then phoning the vet. Will a gut stimulant help? :)

She is 1.2kg. The vet told me 2 drops once a day but I thought this was too low so I did two drops...last night and again this morning.

She did have some given by injection pre op.

Last edited:
I may be wrong but I understood that a GA can cause a little ileus as it has a slowing effect on the gut, so i'm wondering if your bunny has ileus and perhaps getting a bit of stasis as nothing yet passed. In which case I would be wanting a review of pain relief (although if she's eating that may indicate the pain is sort of under control?) but definitely some gut motilty drugs and perhaps some fluids, dehydration can slow things down. I would also be inclined to syringe feed if she is not eating enough to keep her tummy moving along - depending on how stressful she finds this. But i'm just a bit paranoid re. stasis as have a bloat/stasis bunny so may be overly proactive! I might also encourage her to have a little gentle hop now it has been 24 hours but of course she's had a big op so you don't want to exhaust her or have her stretch her wound/stitches....tricky, as she needs to rest, but lack of exercise can slow the tummy down a bit. I hope your bunny passes some droppings soon:)

Thank you :wave:

I have made a pen for her round her indoor hutch and since this morning she has had a little hop around. I gave her two more drops of metacam. She finds syringing very stressful but I am dipping my hand into her water bowl and she is licking it that way. I am going to phone the vet I think as do not want to leave it much longer :?

2 drops will have no effect hun. A bun weighing 1.2kg should be having around 5 drops. The dose could be split to 3 drops twice daily, but check with your vet. She is probably in a lot of pain.

Back