• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Floppy Bunny Syndrome

clarebear

Mama Doe
We had to take Bramble to the vets yesterday, as he was poorly. He was very lethargic, and kept rolling around. He seemed a little off balance. He hadn't eaten anything, which really made me worried.

So we took him off to see the emergency vet. She said he may have Floppy Bunny Syndrome. I've read some other posts about this and I know that some people don't believe that this actually exsists.

The vet decided to keep him in overnight. They syringe fed him and gave him injections to get his tummy going again. I collected him earlier on today. When I asked the nurse what could of caused this, she said it was all a bit unknown, and that rabbits were mysterious creatures. He does seem fine, but I'm so worried that this might happening again.

Has anyone else had similar problems before?

He seems a little lethargic still today, although it has been very hot, so I can't blame him really! He is eating and pooping well, and seems okay, just a little sleepy.

Any advice, gratefully recieved.

Could it be heat stroke? Winston was ill once he was clinging to radiator in middle of summer and when I tried to move him he was flopping everywhere. I rang vet and was booked in so in mean time I syringed him water and took him to cool area when we got to vets he had perked up and vet said he seemed ok but as with bunnies anything could be wrong and sent us home with several meds to give him. Vet also said not to worry hed be sick if he was really ill :shock: but thats a diff story.
He was fine after that but I later read about heatstroke which fit perfectly lathargic, floppy, wont eat or drink (winnies a pig usually) best thing is to wrap them in damp towel and syringe water to cool them down.

Rolling is usually caused by an ear infection (and is accompanied by a head tilt). It's very difficult to diagnose inner ear infections in rabbits, so I would expect a vet to treat with antibiotics as a precaution.

Floppy bunny syndrome can be caused by lack of potassium or Vit E, so a vitamin injection containing these is also a good idea

Good luck

Ah thankls you, sounds like it could have been that! Thanks for your advice, maybe I can try that if it happens again.

Bramble is currently mailting his winter coat too, so he must be warm.

Thank you :wave:

Rolling is usually caused by an ear infection (and is accompanied by a head tilt). It's very difficult to diagnose inner ear infections in rabbits, so I would expect a vet to treat with antibiotics as a precaution.

Floppy bunny syndrome can be caused by lack of potassium or Vit E, so a vitamin injection containing these is also a good idea

Good luck

Thank you. She did mention it could have been ears or teeth. :wave:

Other possible causes include e cuniculi, infection with pasteurella or a neurological problem.
I don't like the phrase 'floppy bunny sydrome' because it isn't really a dianosis xx

Have you guys ever heard of WHS?? Wobbly hedghog syndrome.Im not kidding...Its very similar to multiple sclerosis but in hedgies.Just made me think,thats all.Hope your bun has made a full recovery.xx

He seems much happier today and has been eating well. At the moment he is laid flat out under his sun shade. :D

No they can't. I think that's what she was saying :) The pyloric sphincter is too strong in rabbits and they can not vomit.

Ahhh i see I always wondered why that was- poor buns, I dont know about you guys but if im really really poorly and feeling sick, actually finally being sick normally makes me feel a bit better-brings a bit of relief- rabbits must hate nausea :S

My rabbit Alfie just survived Floppy Rabbit syndrome. It was caused by parasites they believe. But FRS is just a name for many different diseases/problems that cause the same kind of illness, which is loss of strength to the limbs and lethargy.

Good to hear your bunny is ok though. :D

Last edited:
Another experience with Floppy Bunny Syndrome

I just thought I'd add an experience I had with my much loved six month old bunny, Jean Doe.
She had been fine the night before, I went into the garage where she and the other rabbit live, (on hay), and she was sitting oddly, front legs splayed out to the side. I picked her up and immediately knew something was very wrong as her back half was 'floppy', like she was paralysed from the waist down.
I immediately took her to the local vet, (average dog and cat one), who thought she'd broken her back and wanted to put her down! I left her there with tears streaming down my face for an xray, they rang me later to say take her to the exotic vet,
To cut a long story short and $600 later, she was given pain relief, blood tests, some Oxbow herivore criticare formula, and sent home with me, Gradually over the next 24 hours she regained the use of her hind quarters and came back to normal. Her potassium levels were shown to be low in the blood tests. The vet said it was 'floppy rabbit syndrome'. Before this episdoe I probably wasn't feeding her enough vegetables and relying too much on commercial rabbit mixes. She and her half brother Rascal and now very healthy house rabbits who live in the garage during the day and come inside over night. Subsequent blood test showed her potassium levels as normal.

Back