• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Dandruff on my boy Beebee

yvette

Wise Old Thumper
Hiya.My little fella had dandruff a few weeks ago.This turned out to be those little mite thingys so a trip to the vets for Xeno200.Hes had all the sprays now and Im grooming him to get most of the stuff out.Will it go?? Could he still have the wee beasties?? I cant see them but then I couldnt see them in the first place.We saw them under a microscope at the vets.(Ugh).Obviously a trip back would probably be the best bet.But if he has dandruff,and hes been sprayed etc,why is the dandruff still present??

Was it Ivermectin by spot-on or injection or a spray? I understood they needed a course over 6 weeks to break the lifecycle of the mite. With our bun used the Xeno 450 spot on once every 2 weeks for 3 times.

Was it Ivermectin by spot-on or injection or a spray? I understood they needed a course over 6 weeks to break the lifecycle of the mite. With our bun used the Xeno 450 spot on once every 2 weeks for 3 times.

It was Xeno200 to spray 3 times over 6 weeks.The fur is growing back now..but still a bit of dandruff remains,despite grooming.

p.s dandruff is fairly normal for a bun who is moulting - so it could just be normal dandruff.
If it is mites still then it may be that you need to do the treatment as a course in order to break the mite lifecycle.

p.s dandruff is fairly normal for a bun who is moulting - so it could just be normal dandruff.
If it is mites still then it may be that you need to do the treatment as a course in order to break the mite lifecycle.

:oops: I thought we had done it?? With all the spraying??

:oops: I thought we had done it?? With all the spraying??

Yes you have! I posted that before I saw what you had written :oops:
I think if you are worried it has come back you better make another trip to the vet and perhaps they will suggest another course? I don't know if it is safe to do two courses back to back? Vet will know! Could also be normal flaky skin - we groom daily and find that our short-haired bun is excessively dandruffy, but he doesn't have mites - grooming can make his skin flakier as you are lifting it off the back and onto the fur where you see it more. Still, grooming daily is a good idea overall:)

Yes you have! I posted that before I saw what you had written :oops:
I think if you are worried it has come back you better make another trip to the vet and perhaps they will suggest another course? I don't know if it is safe to do two courses back to back? Vet will know! Could also be normal flaky skin - we groom daily and find that our short-haired bun is excessively dandruffy, but he doesn't have mites - grooming can make his skin flakier as you are lifting it off the back and onto the fur where you see it more. Still, grooming daily is a good idea overall:)

Ok, thanks.xx

Back