• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

People with more than one pair

hurricanhoney

Wise Old Thumper
Do they have a scuffle if they see another rabbit? I was thinking of getting a pair to go in my unused playhouse but they may be able to see my house rabbits when they go on the lawn. This wont be for a few months if I do go ahead with it.

they did at first, domino hated seeing peanut and jelly, but they didnt care if they saw him, but theyre okayw ith each other now. it just took a bit of time. x

Some of mine do and some don't.....Pixie and Pandora do ,as do Billy and Bonnie but Buster and Rosie are ok and so are Alexander and Cinders and usually Jack and Indigo are ok too....I guess it just depends on the bunnies :?

Whenever I used to introduce a new bunny in the animal room, the pairs used to chase each other quite aggressively at times for a few days until all had settled down again. They do get used to each other eventually though. It has never broken a bond! I have however been known to put a board in front of a cage when it got a bit out of hand until they were used to each other more.

Vera

I've got one pair that I don't put in the run when other buns are out. They do live happily next to another pair, but if they see/smell another male outside of the other pair, Cracker gets a bit :evil: to poor Missy. And attacks the bars/mesh of the run. He's fine with the other pair - used to them I guess:)

Mine don't seem to have any problems with seeing each other, and when they go for holiday boarding, they are in hutches next to each other, so can smell each other and probably some strange bunnies, too. My trio sometimes have a scuffle mainly to put Luna into her place at the bottom of the pecking order. :roll:

I think it depends on the characters of the bunnies, but most of them are probably ok. There are quite a lot of pairs in rescues, and they see and smell other bunnies all the time.

I could put a board up at the side of the run of the playhouse which is the only side which can see the lawn and there are a couple of steps up to the lawn so probably shouldn't be a problem. Thanks guys definitely given me something to think about.

When we fostered a bun it caused terrible problems between our bonded pair re. referred aggression, but only when they could see him or smell his scent on the lawn. As long as we put up a barrier/screen between the two runs they could be outside at the same time, but as for lawn time....it got to the point where we had to keep ours off the lawn for several weeks AFTER he left to be rehomed until it had rained a few times - as they would literally go for each other as soon as they smelt him anywhere. In the house they would leave hundreds of droppings outside the door of the room he was in! :lol: Back in their own territory and unable to see or smell him they were fine again instantly but perhaps not quite as close as they used to be. After he left, they got really close again properly snuggling. I think we were unlucky, but I have heard from rescuers that referred aggression is not unusual. I guess all you can do is try?

Two of my pairs don't, the are more curious about each other. I'm hoping that's a good thing as I would like to try and bond them as a group!

My foster pair hate all other rabbits, and will start on each other if any other rabbit goes near their run. My single doe is the most territorial rabbit I have ever had and will also try to attack any other rabbit. She will attack the towel I put them on for grooming if the other rabbits were on it before her :roll:

Hi, when I just had Star & Bugs and I took in a rabbit that my neighbour found they went mad. It was really horrible so I ended up giving my neighbour the stray rabbit to calm Bugs & Star down.

With Holly & Angel, they are Bugs & Star babies, so 'know' them so to speak and they have (generally) all been fine with each other.

I am sure they would settle down in time though x

Yes our 3 m/f pairs used to be like this. Now 5 of them live together!

I think it's more protecting their territory than actually disliking the other buns they see! Ours lived in 3 different housing types - each 3 foot apart on the patio and they only got tetchy when the another pair were on free run time and actually got up at their mesh! Then the male always used to tell his girl off for fratanising with another boy through the mesh :lol::lol:

Which ever pair it was they were all the same, all are neutered, but they behaved this way! Yet amazingly none of them minded when Toshi housebun used to pop out to see them! They all knew him from a baby, and he knew them - some better than others. His mom, brother Earl and sister Smokey obviously knew him. Then his auntie Rosie and Uncle Joe who he used to visit with Smog, as he was bonded with their previous chum Smog who suffered headtilt / EC - she couldn't live with them but they groomed her when she and Toshi visited for 5 mins or so several times a week :D
Finally Broops - who when he got kicked out of the outdoor group, was befriended by Toshi who leapt into his cage and sat eating hay with him - they had met previously through mesh etc - but the jumping into Broops cage happened accidentally - yet Broops didn't bat an eyelid and Toshi just sat eating Broops hay! This really amazed me, unfortunately Toshi had been unwell for months and passed not long after this, but he took a shine to Broops and vice versa without any bonding or signs of aggression - especially from 2 males - this really opened my eyes to how much they crave interaction with their own kind!

Infact the only bun Toshi really disliked was his brother-housebunny Crackers. As we hoped to bond them so they could free range together round the house - I'm sure this dislike was more for our inconvenience :lol: Bless em!

The outdoor group of 5 get tetchy with Crackers and Piper being out on the patio and when Broops and Petunia go out too... I really do think it's territory..

Might be best if I speak to a rescue about it then to see what the rabbits are like around other rabbits. I have seen several pairs of sisters I wonder if sisters are worst than male/female pairings.

I could section off the lawn so they don't go on the same bit of lawn and put a board up. This would really only be a problem on nice days.

some of my pairs do and some don't:roll:

Same here - I have to cover the front of each pairs run when the others are having free range time - real pain in the bum.

Although at the rescue there are loads of rabbits in groups and pairs that live alongside each other absolutely fine, so I wouldn't rule it out!

My own 4 bunnies dont bother, theyre so used to seeing different buns come and go i guess they get fed up of it :lol:

I have 2 sets of sisters in as foster buns at the moment, as long as theres a 6ft gap between the runs, both sets are ok :) If i put them directly side by side or quite close Mog chases Meg :(

Back