• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Questions for Gummy Bunnies!

Mad Bunster

Mama Doe
Maddie has just had her incisors removed due to an infected tooth root, and she is doing ok for now on chopped up veg (put through food processor), but I need some advice on her feeding plan for the longer term! Can anyone with incisorless bunnies tell me.....

- how do your bunnies get on with eating hay? Shes not touched any yet, it just went soggy last time she tried eating it, even when its chopped up.

- she looks close to choking when eating sometimes and I'm paniking that she will.... I'm assuming this is just as she is exploring her new feel mouth and how to use it? Is this normal?

- should her peg teeth have been removed too? I've not had a proper look in her mouth as shes pretty sore, but I think they might still be there?

Has anyone got any more tips to help her (and me) adjust please?

Thanks!

Jess had her incisors romoved over a year ago and took a wee while to get going, she hasn't ever been a great hay eater, but I've seen her nibbling on it since. I soaked her food initially, and she eats fine now without help. The main difference is I grate her carrot/ apple etc and thinly slice things like cabbage etc. She was doing very well, but we have just found a tooth root abscess so things aren't looking too good for her long term, she is still eating well though. I'm giving grass instead of hay for her to chew on, until she hopefully manages to eat it again.:(
I think it is quite hard to kill the root of the incisor and with Jess, one peg tooth regrew, but it doesn't seem to cause any bother and I just keep an eye on it and get it clipped every so often to prevent any problems, it didn't seem worth putting her through another op for that.

Aw I'm sorry Jess has got tooth root abscesses... That's how we found maddie had tooth trouble -she got recurring abscesses. Hope you can get that sorted.

Thanks for the info :)

Angel has mouth disease and doesn't have front teeth (although im sure they are coming back, as i got a good nip the other day when she thought my finger was toast) but she needs her food chopped up small and carrot apple grated. She does wolf down her pellets but we were toldif we felt she got on better with baby bun pellets dwarf food then we can use them just remember to reduce it for breed/size of bunny as this is quite fattening but the pellets are much smaller than adult ones to chew.
However Angel can not eat hay at all as you say she also just sucks and gives in same with grass unless she can pull it out by root she cant snap it off.
We tried every hay poss chopping it smaller etc but she still cant eat it so we buy alfalfa hay cubes from hay experts and pick them apart she wolfs them down then.

Back