• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Ear injury

Ziggyp

New Kit
Hello all,
One of our bunnies seems to have suffered an ear injury, and, very frustratingly, we can't be sure what happened, but there is a piece of her ear, close to the tip, on the side, missing. It seems a little too big to have been caused by a bunny bite, and there was a huge fox hanging around the run yesterday, so we wonder if the fox could have somehow got to her through the bars. We have re-arranged their toys/hiding houses so that when they rest on top of them they can't be reached, the little house they like to sit on was right by the run side before.
I've kept a close eye on the injury since noticing on Friday evening, and it seems perfectly dry and clean. She doesn't react when we touch her ear and the edge of the 'cut', and seems quite relaxed, eating and happy otherwise. She is seeing a vet in two days for her VHD vaccine and of course I will talk to the vet about the ear injury too, but in the meantime was wondering if anyone could advise on this. If she is in no pain, there is no bleeding, discharge, swelling or anything, am I right in thinking it is not infected and is healing well?
Also, it can't have been long between the time when she got the injury and the time when we noticed, a few hours at the most, and there was no sign of bleeding even then. I am quite upset about the whole thing, and wondering if such ear injuries are frequent, and if they usually heal fine?

It's been 3 days since it happened, if she seems fine now, does it mean she'll probably be ok?

Why don't you give the vets a call on the phone and ask them if they would like to see her sooner than your arranged appointment and explain what has happened? They'll probably be able to give you a better idea of whether this can wait or not. I would assume if it is not bleeding or sore bunny is probably ok at the moment - keep an eye on the injury, food uptake and poo output though:)

Hi - my Poppy had an ear injury (her previous husbunny took a chunk out of it during a nasty fight) and there was also no blood. I took her to the vet at the time who told me to keep an eye on it. This was about 6 months ago now and she is absolutely fine. Her fur has grown back over the tear and it never seems to bother her. I hope your little bunny is ok.

Here is a little snap of Poppy with her poorly ear . . .
Image063.jpg

Thank you for that picture, that's exactly how Twinkle looks, except the injury is slightly higher, but otherwise very similar...

It's reassuring to read that other bunnies have done well in same circumstances... :)

Poor bunny. I think the fox if a very likely suspect. If it's a fight with another bun I would expect you to see clumps of hair in the run.

Infection can sometimes take 3 or 4 days or more to appear so keep a close eye on it for signs or redness, swelling, discharge etc., and mention it to the vet before he gives the vaccine, in case it needs treatment.

If you have foxes around you need to make sure the mesh is strong and fox proof, and well attached to the wood. I would give serious thought to adding a layer of 16g mesh to the run, with holes no bigger than 1/2" x 1"

Be careful to supervise the bun close if she is allowed out. Foxes are around day and night xx

Yes we do get foxes regularly... don't see one for a few months, then they visit regularly for a few weeks. We are quite used to having to be careful as we have chickens, and no rabbit or chicken can freerange without a human standing guard...
The hutch and run are quite sturdy, and we are in the process of planning walk in runs for the chickens and for the rabbits (separate ones obviously), and one of the plans is to have it double-wired. As the run will be made of individual wood frame panels, it should be easy (if slightly more expensive) to put mesh both on the inside and the outside of the frame, giving better protection.

Thankfully, we are usually quickly alerted to a fox's presence, as the chickens call out VERY loudly for help... quite often we end up running down the stairs at 4am, chasing away foxes... I wonder what the neighbours would think if they did see us run wildly in the garden in a dressing down, spotty wellingtons, screaming and growling at something!!

Twinkle still seems fine, behaviour is normal and wound site is still the same, am still keeping close eye on it for any sign of soreness or infection, and she is seeing the vet tomorrow morning... I still am not sure if it is fox, cat or rabbit caused, but as there were no clumps of fur in the hutch, I doubt it was done by a bunny... they had a very short scrap yesterday and there was fur around just from a three seconds argument!!

Thank you everyone for your replies.

Back