• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Sticky poo

amanda 2807

Warren Scout
Hi all hope some of you can help its my nethie crockett he is getting sticky poo on him every day iam having to clean him up lookerly he lets you do it my other bun primrose is fine there on excel pellets should i cut down how meny i'am giving them or change to a different brand

got to get this sorted as i'am obsessed with flys going near them and i's really warm out today any advice would be great

i now you can get dwarf pellets but primrose is'nt a dwarf so not sure wether i could use this .

hi

firstly when is it the poos are on him it could be he is over producing the ones they eat.

Also how old is he? do you feed him hay and fruit veg etc. Also although there is mixed views on this on here do you panicur him are there any signs of worms etc.
Depending on all of the above would depend on what to do.

If it is just overproducing the soft ones they eat then i would reduce or even stop the pellets and feed on hay only.
as for changing pellets i have one with a sensitive stomach and he over produces the soft ones and he is now on ALLEN & PAGE rabbit food which is high in fibre. [recommended by this site]

Let me know if there is anything else you can tell us about how often etc he is mucky and whether it is just soft ones or the runs.

Good luck :love:

Excel is notorious for causing sticky poos. How much are they getting per day? An eggcup full is sufficient. Mine are all on SS mature with Flo naturally being 1.5 kg and Fiver was started on it at 10 months with no problems, the vet is actually quite pleased with all their weights.

Has the sticky poos just come on recently or has it always happened with Excel. How much pellets are you feeding? I believe Excel can cause sticky poos in some rabbits.

Has the sticky poos just come on recently or has it always happened with Excel. How much pellets are you feeding? I believe Excel can cause sticky poos in some rabbits.

it's really been since i've had them a month i've just been cleaning him up they have fresh veg at night and theres always hay looking at what someone else has just said i may be giving them to much i fill there dish up morning and night when i clean them out each time the dish is empty

Sounds like caecal dysbiosis - excess caecotrophs (the ones they should eat and you shouldn't see discarded). They tend to stick to the fur that's all.
I think you need to cut the pellets right down or out and up the hay intake. For now leave off the veggies completely, and then when it clears up, introduce just one veg at a time over 48 hours, if no sticky poo then add in another veggie, if sticky poo - then you know which veggies are causing it - some buns can't tolerate certain veg or too much of a certain veg. Starchy veggies are notorious for doing this as is too much fruit. So I would leave out carrots/apple and cabbage for now and begin feeding carrot tops, celery and tops, dandelions, any fresh herb like parsely, basil, mint etc....these ones tend not to cause upset, then gradually build up the veggies slowly and add in new ones. If any upset again you'll know which it is. Lots and lots of fresh hay is the best thing to get the caecal bacteria back into balance:D
I understand changing the pellets can also help - but I would definitely cut down on how much you give.

it's really been since i've had them a month i've just been cleaning him up they have fresh veg at night and theres always hay looking at what someone else has just said i may be giving them to much i fill there dish up morning and night when i clean them out each time the dish is empty

Sounds like they are definitely getting far too many pellets as pellets are like our version of sweets. They only need a maximum of and eggcup full each per day as 90% of their diet should be hay or grass. Try cutting them down first before changing.

if you go through my profile on here and go to one of the first posts i made about gizmo producing soft poos think you will find it very helpful . cut back on pellets a bit for now and increase the hay [they should have constant access to hay anyway] as for veg i would cut that back to as it could be too much for him/her at the moment. Another thing i use when gizmo over produces these soft ones is something called PRO C it is a probiotic that you put in there water and gives the vitimins etc they need. Also if you are worried about flys etc even though you are cleaning him use Rearguard on him as an extra precaution. I think you will find on this site most people are anti EXCEL although i still feed my other bunny on it without problems but after ALOT of vet bills it was THIS site that saved gizmo and recommended allen & page rabbit pellets costs about £8.00 for a 2okg bag too!! THey need high fibre if they have a weak stomach i also give both bunnies a spoon full of oats morning and night which they love [just natural porrage oats] full of fibre :)

Yeah you are probably giving them too much. There diet should be mainly hay. You need to give an eggcupful of pellets each a day. Slowly reduce it over a couple of weeks. I find I can only give a small amount of carrot once a week as I get this problem with Honey also. If this doesn't improve I would change them over to something like Allen & Page, Science Selective or Bunny Basics Timothy.

Thanks to you all for the advice have cut there pellets down tonite so i will see how things go from there

Been 2 days now and this morning when i checked crocketts bum it was clean so happy :D thanks to you all for your advice do you think i should still change pellets to allen and page have a bag on order it will be ready next weds .

Been 2 days now and this morning when i checked crocketts bum it was clean so happy :D thanks to you all for your advice do you think i should still change pellets to allen and page have a bag on order it will be ready next weds .

Woohoo! Glad it worked. I think a change would be good anyway but make sure it's gradual by mixing some of the new with the old and gradually increasing the proportion of A+P. A+P is better nutritionally anyway and cheaper (I think) so it's a good swap all round. Hopefully his tum will be ok with it.

Back