• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

I Think Toffee Has Myxi - U/D

*Spider*

Wise Old Thumper
He is up to date with all his jabs.
Went out to check buns just now and Toffee's eye was glued shut.
I have bathed it and now it is open, however it is extremely swollen. His genitals ar not swollen, however I am worrying like hell that this is the worst case scenario... myxi.
He is a long haired rabbit so am just prayig that his long fur has irritated his eyes as I have not trimmed him in a while.
What shall I do? He is seeing the vet tonight.
Shall I seperate him?
He is an old boy, but his weight is going up and up.
He still is lively and happy.
Help please. :cry:
Am uploading pictures as we speak.

Last edited:
Aww poor Toffee!
Might just be a standard eye infection, especially as you say if his hair is long and might have irritated it. my girls have rex hair but still have slightly "sleepy" eyes at the moment with all the hair floating around
Obv seeing the vet tonight is the best thing
I wouldnt separate him - if it is myxi etc then the others are already exposed so either they'll get it too, or they are sufficiently immune, so it wont help at all, though you might have to bring them all inside to nurse him, espesh as he's older and his weight fluctuates
Hope he's ok, let us know xxx

If his vaccs is up to date then hopefully he'll get through it as well as Carrot. I'd make sure you've got meds in -Fucithalmic for his eyes and metacam for pain relief - it's not pleasant but I think myxy must be in Essex as Scamper now has it too...

I'm positive Pickle is due and maybe even Ghostie so I have now seperated him.
He doens't know what's happening :cry:

Oh no, I hope it's not what you suspect.
Is it just the one eye affected? It could be something has irritated it, or he has a bit of hay stuck there.
I personally wouldn't separate him from the others so long as they are all vaccinated. He will get comfort from them, and there is a good chance they have been exposed to anything he has been exposed to already.
Let us know how you get on

Oh gawd, no. :( I'm keeping everything crossed it's it's just an eye itritation or something.

Alfie and Bubbles are due their 6 mthly boosters in about 3 wks time but I've been thinking that I should get them done a little bit early. :?

Myxi is transmitted by biting insects (fleas ticks/ mosquitos), not rabbit to rabbit.
Understand your worry, but let's hope for less serious probs. can only say I'd check them all over for fleas, & check out the garden for any standing water & get rid of it.
Would gently clean the eye with cooled boiled water.
Thinking of you all at the vets tonight - please keep us updated.
Judy & Thumper.

Thanks for your replies. I am getting myself in as state thinking the worst. I am just praying that it is irritation. He is getting quite old so am so worried about him.
Here are the pictures of his closed eye.
It was closed more, but through panic I poked and prodded it a bit so opened it.
SNC01436.jpg

After batheing.
SNC01439.jpg

SNC01440.jpg

His normal eye.
SNC01437.jpg

oh no not toffee!

I would have thought it would happen in both eyes if it was myxi? i hope its just an eye infection, i love this little guy :love:

ill be thinking of him.

I read an RWAF article once that said rabbit to rabbit transmissions had been known to occur in particular strains of the Myxi virus in some years.
Whether or not this has been disproved now I don't know.
I'd be careful with handwashing and clothes changing until I was certain of a diagnosis - but if your buns have all been vaccinated then I shouldn't think there is any need to be too paranoid. (I know I would be though but that's just me!)
Let's hope it's just conjunctivitis or similar:)

At first I thought it must be an infection, but his eye is extremely swollen, its so worrying.
Sarah, fancy coming to see hunky vet with me tonight?

When all our buns contracted Myxi back in the 80's their eyelids became swollen first, not so much the eye itself. Perhaps your bun has a weeping eye from something squashing his nasolacrimal duct that could also be pushing on the eye ball too making it protrude? Dental issues from elongated roots?
Hope your bunny is ok:)

When all our buns contracted Myxi back in the 80's their eyelids became swollen first, not so much the eye itself. Perhaps your bun has a weeping eye from something squashing his nasolacrimal duct that could also be pushing on the eye ball too making it protrude? Dental issues from elongated roots?
Hope your bunny is ok:)

Thank you this is reassuring.
He is circa 6-7 years old and his teeth have always been brilliant.
I am just hoping it IS an irritation to is eye.
It was however an overnight occurance.
How did myxi flare up?

eye infections can come on very quickly though. Also, it doesnt look that red? it looks more swollen than red.

One of jellys babies 2 years ago caught myxi at 4 weeks and his eye was very very red.

eye infections can come on very quickly though. Also, it doesnt look that red? it looks more swollen than red.

One of jellys babies 2 years ago caught myxi at 4 weeks and his eye was very very red.

If I lifted his eye lid up, his eye was red :?

Rather quickly i'm afraid, overnight, sorry to say that, but please don't panic, if your bunny has been vaccinated am sure he'll be ok and would probably just get the cutaneous myxi or a mild version.
Back then there were no vaccinations - well not that we or our vet back then was aware of, I was only a kid! And not really any protocol for treatment either. If, say worst case scenario it was, there is loads a vet can do from hydration to full strength meds so try not to worry.
It could equally be an eye infection if the tear duct completely blocked over night and then weeped and dried his eye closed.
Until you've seen vet try not to panic, nightmare worry though I understand:(

Just seen above - yes it occured in both eyes at same time in all rabbits if I remember rightly but my memory is vague from back then. It could have been one first but i'm sure it was bilateral.

Back