• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Chewing On Bars

sidereus7

Mama Doe
I have put my rabbits back in NIC condos until the move, but they are both unhappy and chew on the bars.

Is this hurting their teeth?

Also, is there any way to stop it? (I let them out whenever I am able, but when I go to sleep, they drive me insane!)

petal does this when she's put into the carrier. think she's just raging. not sure if it actually does they teeth any harm. could you hang bits of wood from the bars to sort of distract them?

Charlie now and then tries to chew the bars on his hutch, I put chew toys between the bars, and wrap toilet roll tubes around the parts he's going at worst.
He used to do it almost daily but since I've used toys and toilet roll tubes months ago, he's only done it maybe 3 or 4 times :)

Charlie now and then tries to chew the bars on his hutch, I put chew toys between the bars, and wrap toilet roll tubes around the parts he's going at worst.

Yep this worked for us too! Also found that completely ignoring the behaviour as well is crucial - any attention positive or negative just reinforces it - grit your teeth and don't respond! :)

Back