PDA

View Full Version : Peanuts Abcess + Pics U/D post 30



XMissySJx
21-06-2009, 11:13 PM
its not looking good. the abcess is now like a ball and has a lump at the side of the hock too. He is on Septrin antibiotics like before and we are hoping to reduce it in size so it will then be okay to operate on.

The specialist is going to remove the "pocket" where the abcess is sitting. the abcess is on his tendon but it leaking fluid into the hock, which means theres infection is two places. He is in pain (on pain relief) and sits with one leg behind him all the time. The operation is make or break, because if it comes back once the abcess and pocket is removed it will have nowhere to sit, so will go everywhere and fluid will build up in the gap. its basically a do or die situation.

My beautiful boy will be three next month and i am having to come to terms with the fact he may not make it to four. I am gutted. I cant believe this. I found it so quickly and we have done everything in the world to make him better but i have realised that no ammount of love or money is enough sometimes.

Here is what it looks like tonight. It is by far worse than it has ever been.

http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h28/XMissySJx/DSC_0062.jpg
http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h28/XMissySJx/DSC_0072-1.jpg

my beautiful boy
http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h28/XMissySJx/DSC_0073.jpg

Dustyrabbit
21-06-2009, 11:17 PM
Aww poor Peanut that does look sore.

I hope very much that the operation is a success. Keeping everything crossed for you and Peanut.

lottielouise
21-06-2009, 11:22 PM
oh no the poor lad.

vibes for him to make a speedy and lengthy recovery.

LionheadLuver
21-06-2009, 11:30 PM
Poor boy!!! Molly has a similar looking abscess on the side of her hock and she is seeing the vet tomorrow. :cry:

sidereus7
22-06-2009, 12:19 AM
Poor little Peanut. :(

I hope surgery is successful and that Peanut makes some good recovery. When is he going to have surgery? Are there any plans if the surgery isn't successful?

Sending lots of vibes. xxx

Jack's-Jane
22-06-2009, 07:04 AM
I am so sorry SJ :cry:

Poor Peanut, it must be really painful for him :cry:

donnamt
22-06-2009, 07:54 AM
awwww Peanut :cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry:

Tinsel
22-06-2009, 08:18 AM
Sending loads of vibes for the lovely Peanut. Have you tried Savlon? It worked brilliantly on Jane's Lady L - for a slightly different problem I know, but it's worth giving it a go....

bunbuns
22-06-2009, 09:29 AM
Poor Peanut :cry:

Sending loads of vibes for the handsome boy xxxx

Boudicca
22-06-2009, 10:06 AM
Awe no poor little man :cry: sending lots of VIBES ~~~~

Phill
22-06-2009, 10:07 AM
Poor Peanut, sending lots of vibes for his foot xxx

Sparkle x
22-06-2009, 10:17 AM
Poor Peanut, sending lots of vibes, i hope the Op sorts it out for him, he's been through so much bless him xx

XMissySJx
22-06-2009, 11:01 AM
Unfortnatly if this surgery doesnt work then there is a very good chance we will let him go because it just wont go away. The next step would be to have the leg amputated but the vet thinks it would fill up with fluid, and he would struggle with three legs because his tendons slip in his legs, so he wouldnt be stable enough.

Its so big, it doesnt show it in that photo it looks flat but its so round. He is always laying down with just one leg out behind him, which in a way is good because he is resting it but he is clearly in pain.

I dont see what else i can do for him. We have given this everything we could, i noticed it SO early, it was just an infection back then, and its just got so much worse. Peanuts treatment has cost 900 so far, and after this next operation it will be even more, and i always thought insurance would protect you, but of course it doesnt. it doesnt mean its going to be okay.

It just kills me to knowno ammount of love nor money is enough. He is quiet this morning, i have let him out in the run because id rather he was playing that hunched up in his hutch all sad, and he seems to be happier when hes out in the run

VikkiVet
22-06-2009, 11:24 AM
Poor Peanut, clearly you are doing everything you can for him and taking really good care of him, i hope this works and he pulls through.

if its any form of consolation, its just as frustrating and sad for us vets that even relatively simple conditions and illnesses cant be cured sometimes. we want to fix everything and know that most owners are prepared to try whatever it takes, but sometimes we just dont have the right drugs or techniques. but the more we try the more advances there are in medicine and the more things improve.

XMissySJx
22-06-2009, 11:30 AM
i think what frustrates me is that its a leg, its not his organs, or anything like that its his leg, his hock! such a SMALL thing. and i cant help but think in a few years time is he going to be one of those rabbits that "could easily have been cured" if it happened a few years later. i know its if and buts, but i just feel so helpless.

Jack's-Jane
22-06-2009, 11:39 AM
i think what frustrates me is that its a leg, its not his organs, or anything like that its his leg, his hock! such a SMALL thing. and i cant help but think in a few years time is he going to be one of those rabbits that "could easily have been cured" if it happened a few years later. i know its if and buts, but i just feel so helpless.

I can totally empathise with you SJ. Many of my Rexes have battled Sore Hocks and it is so frustrating that sometimes absolutely nothing appears to stop the condition progressing to more serious infection.

I have 'only' lost one Rex to it. She had surgery on an abscess. It recurred and the tendon and joint were effected. She had an amputation. Six weeks later infection occured at the site of surgery and quickly spread to bone. I had to let her go.

I know that you have done absolutely everything possible for Peanut and I completely agree that because of his specific condition amputation would not be an option. It is so unfare that even though you noticed the problem early on and you have always sought immediate Veterinary care yet still the :censored: condition keeps coming back :cry:

I really am so sorry :cry:

I hope for a miracle and that more surgery is still an option with a realistic prospect of a good outcome.

xx

XMissySJx
22-06-2009, 11:58 AM
I think whats frustrating me the most is, it was such a small problem to begin with. and he had vet care as soon as i noticed so i just, cant see why it keeps coming back.

i would be so angry to lose him over a hock. it would make me so annoyed i cant explain it. Hes out on the grass now and hes pulling the leg behind him every couple of steps. he wont stop running and playing, he doesnt want to sit down. hes so playful.

This operation is really the last thing to try, and i just hope that he can pull through it. hes so brave, not once has he stopped eating or playing, he just gets on with it.

BunnyBekkie
22-06-2009, 12:27 PM
I really hope he's ok SJ :cry::cry:
My heart is breaking for you sweetie xx

thumps_
22-06-2009, 02:55 PM
Everything crossed that your vet can remove all the capsule, & get on top of the infection.
I can understand how you feel, but bunny abscesses are totally different from abscesses in other pets & humans, posing major technical probs. as you probably know all too well. Someone round here is long overdue a break. Let's hope it's you eh!

BirdieBun
22-06-2009, 03:05 PM
Sending millions of vibes to beautiful Peanut hun xxxxx :love:

thumps_
23-06-2009, 10:29 PM
How is little peanut tonight? Is there any news when her op. will be?
Thinking of you all.

XMissySJx
23-06-2009, 10:33 PM
he is seeing his specialist on saturday. Its more scabbed over but still very pusy. hes walking a bit weird on it, like dragging it slightly but hes still set on running around and even did a binky earlier despitehaving a bit nasty abcess!

thanks for asking! :)

poppymoon
23-06-2009, 10:41 PM
only just read about poor peanut. that must be so sore:( really hoping for some good news for you both on saturday. x

thumps_
23-06-2009, 11:12 PM
Thank you for the update. Sorry I called him a her! :oops: It's good if you can keep the pus coming out, as you'll know. I'll keep thinking of you all.

XMissySJx
24-06-2009, 12:30 PM
Thank you for the update. Sorry I called him a her! :oops: It's good if you can keep the pus coming out, as you'll know. I'll keep thinking of you all.

sssh i wont tell him if u dont :lol::lol::lol:

FudgeMallow
24-06-2009, 12:38 PM
Oh no poor Peanut :cry::cry:

I didnt realise the abcess was back, i am hoping for a miracle for your gorgeous boy :cry:

Sending loads of vibes xxxx

Em&Leo
24-06-2009, 12:52 PM
Aww Peanut is lovely - fingers crossed he's ok, keep positive - let us all know how he gets on :wave:

XMissySJx
24-06-2009, 01:20 PM
he is lovely isnt he :love::love: hes my special boy, i love him so much.

watching him run about today i realised that even if i cant save him, ive realised ive done physically everything possible, and at the end of the day thats all i can do.

I'll be devastated if i have to say goodbye to him, but i hope it wont come to that.

thumps_
26-06-2009, 04:38 PM
Shall be thinking of you all tomorrow, seeing the specialist vet, & everything crossed for you all.

XMissySJx
27-06-2009, 12:58 PM
we saw his specialist again and basically we had to make a choice.

Choice 1 - it goes away when he is on septrin so keep him on septrin and metacam for the foreseeable future, perhaps his whole life. Theres a good chance he would become immune to it eventually.

Choice 2 - do the surgery that was planned before. He had a 40% survicial chance if we do this. it is very close to the nerve and there is a chance she could damage his nerves and it could paralyse his leg. or it could come back after that. If it comes back AFTER surgery it will get much worse but if it doesnt, it will heal up completly.


I have chosen surgery. Some of you may not agree with this and some may have made a different decision but, he hated med time, he runs away from me whenever he sees me, he bites, scratches and goes crazy when its med time and he would be having septrin twice a day and a metacam once a day and he is living his life constantly on edge, he is getting stressed and run down and his weight yoyos.

I want to give him a chance at a HAPPY life. If he doesnt survive surgery or it comes back then obviously we will let him go but i want him to have a chance at a good life. and i cant watch him slowly go downhill, its "do or die" basically.

He is having surgery in 2 weeks time on tuesday the 14th July. This surgery is costing 450 at least, thats brings his insurance claims to 1300 :shock:

Jack's-Jane
27-06-2009, 01:20 PM
we saw his specialist again and basically we had to make a choice.

Choice 1 - it goes away when he is on septrin so keep him on septrin and metacam for the foreseeable future, perhaps his whole life. Theres a good chance he would become immune to it eventually.

Choice 2 - do the surgery that was planned before. He had a 40% survicial chance if we do this. it is very close to the nerve and there is a chance she could damage his nerves and it could paralyse his leg. or it could come back after that. If it comes back AFTER surgery it will get much worse but if it doesnt, it will heal up completly.


I have chosen surgery. Some of you may not agree with this and some may have made a different decision but, he hated med time, he runs away from me whenever he sees me, he bites, scratches and goes crazy when its med time and he would be having septrin twice a day and a metacam once a day and he is living his life constantly on edge, he is getting stressed and run down and his weight yoyos.

I want to give him a chance at a HAPPY life. If he doesnt survive surgery or it comes back then obviously we will let him go but i want him to have a chance at a good life. and i cant watch him slowly go downhill, its "do or die" basically.

He is having surgery in 2 weeks time on tuesday the 14th July. This surgery is costing 450 at least, thats brings his insurance claims to 1300 :shock:

I hope the surgery will be successful for him and enable him to have a better quality of life than he would have being stressed by all the medicating.

donnamt
27-06-2009, 01:37 PM
hope its successful hun, i think youve made the right choice myself... i definately beleive quality is better than quantity and personally having a rabbit who detests being handled i would do the same thing, i wouldnt prolong a life if it was filled with unhappy memories.

ill be vibing for Alvins RU buddy from now until i hear news about how the op goes

Crystal butterfly
27-06-2009, 01:41 PM
i think you've made the right choice hun and im hoping he will survive teh surgery because i know how special he is to you.

heres crossing my fingers (and the buns crossing their paws) for your little boy and sending millions of the vibes for the day of teh surgery.

xxx

XMissySJx
27-06-2009, 01:45 PM
hope its successful hun, i think youve made the right choice myself... i definately beleive quality is better than quantity and personally having a rabbit who detests being handled i would do the same thing, i wouldnt prolong a life if it was filled with unhappy memories.

ill be vibing for Alvins RU buddy from now until i hear news about how the op goes

exactly. hes never enjoyedbeing held but he always loved a noserub and a snuggle but now he will lunge if i touch him because he thinks im going to give him his medicenes. hes so agressive, hes always lunging at jelly because hes so misrable.

If this doesnt work i know i wont think " he would still be here if i hadnt opted for surgery" because i know he would be living a sad life.

I just hope it works. im not worried about the GA because this is his fourth time so if he had any heart problems etc we would know by now.

I am praying this works. once its over he can go back to being a happybunny. or, it willall be over and i dont have to watch him hurting anymore :(

pickles
27-06-2009, 02:03 PM
I haven't posted about this for a while but I have been using homeopathy to treat my rabbit.

Last week it burst and he is def happier now! I will post pics so you can see...
Just wanted to say there is hope! It might take some perseverance but it's worth it in the long run...

It helps the body to fight the infection naturally. I have used silicea twice now. Once for an abscess which was on top of the swelling, and laterally to burst the swelling. It's not to say it won't come back but at least i now have something I can do to help it.

I would say try to see if you can find a homeopathic vet nearby to help you, I have been amazed by what it can do! The swelling was huge and very hard and the rememdy turned it into liquid and helped it to come to a head and burst. I know we're always told that it's impossible to burst a rabbit abscess but I have found it to be possible.

I do have to say that it was never diagnosed whether the swelling was an abscess or a tumor but for both options we were told there was no solution and I am so pleased to find out there is!

Before....

http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb232/adore1978/MrChops/IMG_3865.jpg

http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb232/adore1978/MrChops/chopslump.jpg

After...

http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb232/adore1978/MrChops/DSC00403.jpg

thumps_
27-06-2009, 02:36 PM
Thank you for updating us. I totally support you in your difficult decision. You are all very much in my thoughts & prayers.

poppymoon
27-06-2009, 06:23 PM
i completely understand your decision and agree that the stress caused by medicating peanut constantly would ruin his relationship with you and cause so much stress he may give up anyway as an unhappy bunny won't eat properly :(

will be waiting for news on 14th. x