• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Two housebunnies - advice

tkdkat

Young Bun
Hi,

If I home a 10 week old Buck now and home another buck in 2 months would I need to keep them seperate until it was time to neuter them or could I put them both together now. I'm looking to home two bunnies from the same breeder but from diferent litters just in case there is any hereditry conditions. Are two males ok to bond..

If I were to home them seperately if I put their indoor cages next to each other with a run but a divider down the middle of the run would that make it easier to bond them as they should grow up knowing each other.

What is the best type of hay as I have heard the cheaper hay is better as the rabbits have to chew more..

What are the best toys and accessories for them to avoid boredom and to wear their teeth down

Thanks

It would be better to get a buck and doe as that would be an easier bond. Once they are both neutered and you have left it for about six weeks you should be able to bond them. Personally I think it would be easier to get an already bonded pair from a rescue.

Any hay is good as long as it is fresh. Willow sticks and balls are good. If you stuff toilet rolls with hay that keeps them busy for a a while. Cardboard boxes are good to.

Hello and welcome to the forum :wave:

It's much better to bond male and female bunnies or possibly 2 females if they are litter mates as males tend to fight and can do so to the death. Obviously the bunnies need to be neutered but this is highly advisable anyway.

One more thing, have you considered rehoming bunnies from a rescue? There are thousands of lovely bunnies out there looking for homes and you get the added benefit that lots of them are already bonded and already neutered :)

Hey, thanks for the replies

I thought if you had two babies it was easier to bond them. Would I need to keep them seperate one would be about 4 months old while the other about two months old..

I have bonded a male and a young male (8 weeks old), and they are currently having a couple fall outs. It seems that they are vying for top bun, even months after being happily together. I would suggest a male/female pairing, as they will be more likely to be happier in the long run.

Females can become fertile very early, so I wouldn't risk keeping them together too long if you get a male/female. I think it can be as early as 12 weeks for a female to be fertile. It would probably be better to get the male neutered before introducing him to a female. Then when she is ready, bring them both to the vets to get her spayed and have him keep her company.

Good luck with the new buns! I know it's exciting to get new bunnies, but it's best to hold back and make good decisions so they are happy. :)

Alright,

I'll take on everyones advice and I'll try and see if I can take on a female and male (I thought male were more friendly - thats why I was going for two males)

So obviously I would have to wait until one of them was neuteured or spayed before they could live full time together but do I let them have supervised time together so bonding is easier when the time arrives.

If not and I have to keep them seperate, if they live side by side in nero 3 cages with single 3.5 ft by 5 ft run attached to each cage, without divider run would be 7ft by 5 ft. Full use of room and house when older and litter trained. Would this make bonding easier or will it not matter?

When would be the right time to start handling them so you can do the daily checks to make sure they are alright, will daily handling make them less nervous and more friendly?

Thanks, just wanna get everything right before I commit to taking them on.. I dont want to do the wrong thing and have unhappy bunnies on my hands.

Alright,

I'll take on everyones advice and I'll try and see if I can take on a female and male (I thought male were more friendly - thats why I was going for two males)

So obviously I would have to wait until one of them was neuteured or spayed before they could live full time together but do I let them have supervised time together so bonding is easier when the time arrives.

If not and I have to keep them seperate, if they live side by side in nero 3 cages with single 3.5 ft by 5 ft run attached to each cage, without divider run would be 7ft by 5 ft. Full use of room and house when older and litter trained. Would this make bonding easier or will it not matter?

When would be the right time to start handling them so you can do the daily checks to make sure they are alright, will daily handling make them less nervous and more friendly?

Thanks, just wanna get everything right before I commit to taking them on.. I dont want to do the wrong thing and have unhappy bunnies on my hands.

Hi :wave:
Males are generally more friendly (I have found) but two males are harded to bond together. Yesterday I bonded my two pairs (both male/female pairs) and it is the older male that I am having problems with. The rest have been fine.

Here is a link re bonding:
http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=55913&highlight=bonding+nonsence
They say it doesn't make much difference.

My four bunnies, even when seperate by bars, have always been able to smell/touch/hear each other and like I say one of the males is being really funny whilst bonding then all together.

As for handling them, the sooner the better really but you have to get them to trust you too. Some bunnies just dont like being handled. My older two rabbit dont really but my younger male will sit on your lap for hours. It depends on the rabbit.

The other thing to think about is finances. I never realised how much a rabbit or two would cost. I think since I had my original two rabbit in Aug last year, I must have spent close to 1k! I have had all four neutered (lady rabbits can be up to £100 each and males around £50), all needed VHD jabs and Mixi jabs, I have a couple of runs and hutches and recently bought a shed for them to live in, my two younger rabbits have eye problems so that cost me a small fortune at the vets and then you have food, hay, toys etc

Another thing to think about is what if the rabbits dont bond together? you have to have a plan B - just in case .... if I was you, I would seriously go to a rescue to get a bonded pair (who will already be vac'd up to date and neutered and bonded!).

good luck whatever you decide x

Back