• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How to attach a large shelf in shed?

gemmam

Alpha Buck
Hi,
I have a new shed which is up, painted and has flooring. All I need to do is work out how to get a shelf up. I have seen lots of pics of other people's but it isn't clear how they are actually fixed on to the shed walls? Can anyone give me any ideas? Ideally I want it to be the full length of one wall so it will be 7'x2' and obviously quite heavy so I am worried about how to fasten it on securely enough to hold the weight.

You will need some shelving brackets (if you google or look at diy.com under shelving you will see them). They screw into the bottom of the shelf and to the wall of the shed.

You might want to go for some heavy duty one's if your putting up such a large shelf!

I'm wondering if such a large shelf is a bit unrealistic now. I didn't want to waste floorspace by having legs to support it but not sure if brackets will be enough?

I would build a frame for it to sit on first and drill that to the shed wall before puting the shelf on top. As it is long it would also need some shelf brackets for support in the middle :)

Hi,
I have a bike shed that hubby is adapting for me. We orginally said about having one bit long shelf across the shed however have decided to have three layers ... with a 'little' shelf instead.

The reason being was 1) for cleaning (hubby has made the shelf removable so that I can take it out and clean all the bottom shed floor and the shelves too and 2) we wasn't sure about the support.

Hubby has built a frame (that does have a 'leg post') that the shelf fits ontop off ..... I will take some pictures tomorrow and post them so that you can see.

Hope that helps.

If it goes from end to end I would run a baton along the three sides where it touches the shed walls eg 2" square wood. So you'd need two 2' bits and one 7' bit. The shelf would then sit on top.

You can also run one along the front if there is too much flex to it. Alternatively, or in addition, you can buy work top legs in a DIY store. They are quite neat, about 1-2" diameter with a screw adjust up and down that could sit in the centre at the front to give extra support. They come in aluminium to prevent chewing.

Happypreso - pics would be great thank you!

Tamsin - yes I saw those legs on Saturday and had wondered. I did want to avoid a leg but really it's not going to take up much floor space and I think it will need the support so might give that a go.

Thanks for the ideas everyone! I think the problem is we keep thinking of different ideas and changing our minds. Need to just give something a go!

Back