• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

poorly belgian hare

willow09

New Kit
I have a 12 week old belgian hare doe who has steadily been getting a swollen belly today she looks a little uncomfortable with it and is only eating a tiny amount. She lives with her litter sister who is fine and my giant french buck who was castrated 8 weeks ago. They have only been with him for the last 2/3 weeks. Could it be that he is still fertile and she may be pregnant and if so what is the gestation period for a belgian hare is it the same as a rabbit.She is very clingy towards him but he has shown no interest in either of them.Or could this be something more serious ie bloat or twisted gut just wondering if anyone could shed any light before i use the vet as i am a first time belgian hare keeper but have kept giants for years.

Belgian hare isn't actually a hare but is a breed of rabbit so yes, everything including gestation and illnesses will be exactly the same as other rabbits.

If she is definitely 12 weeks old now and was put with the buck 3 weeks ago, after he'd been neutered for 5 weeks then it's extremely implausible that she is pregnant. It sounds very much to me as if she has bloat/stasis and needs to see a vet urgently, especially as eating has already slowed down.

Hope she's ok xx

Belgian hare isn't actually a hare but is a breed of rabbit so yes, everything including gestation and illnesses will be exactly the same as other rabbits.

If she is definitely 12 weeks old now and was put with the buck 3 weeks ago, after he'd been neutered for 5 weeks then it's extremely implausible that she is pregnant. It sounds very much to me as if she has bloat/stasis and needs to see a vet urgently, especially as eating has already slowed down.

Hope she's ok xx

I agree, it sounds as though you need to contact a Vet this evening.
Good luck.

lilly has been to the vets.

Hi all just to update you on lilly , i suringed her water through the night and gave her infacol( wind , grip pain and colic relive for babys!!) luckly i have a 2 week old baby so have plenty in and this helped her have a comfy night her belly felt a little looser , i then made her a appointment in the morning to see the vet and she has had some further teatment to get her gut working a bit better and some baytril and fluids . she is almost back to her cheeky self drinking her self now and even trying to eat a little of the burgess herbage , i was woundering though i have always fed burgess nuggets and last week i mixed in a trial flaver they have brought out think it was a cranbury one i mixed it with the original , has anyone herd of this maybe being the cause i am just trying to work out what i have changed lately to hopefully give me the answer as to why she got bloat , i felt very very guilty as i love all my animals the same and have so many but i had to be sensible and explane to the vet i had limits on spending for her , i hated doing it but i have all the other animals to think of too and it all comes from the pet found wich isnt all that well saved due to new baby being one of 4 all under 11 eak!! but the vets have been great and so far the bill has been under the limit and was charged £43, so not bad so far although she has to go back tomorrow for another chek. so any way i would say she is 60% better and is showing intrest in her soroundings again so fingers crossed her belly will slim down over night and she will be her cheeky self and back in her run with her sister rosie and willow their hubby tomorrow , we have yet to see her droppings but she has done a big wee today , so fingers crossed for lilly she really is a very loving friendly girl and we all love her dearly and are feeling much more happer now she is looking a little better. will keep you posted untill she is 100% better.:D
thankyou
emma x

Hi all just to update you on lilly , i suringed her water through the night and gave her infacol( wind , grip pain and colic relive for babys!!) luckly i have a 2 week old baby so have plenty in and this helped her have a comfy night her belly felt a little looser , i then made her a appointment in the morning to see the vet and she has had some further teatment to get her gut working a bit better and some baytril and fluids . she is almost back to her cheeky self drinking her self now and even trying to eat a little of the burgess herbage , i was woundering though i have always fed burgess nuggets and last week i mixed in a trial flaver they have brought out think it was a cranbury one i mixed it with the original , has anyone herd of this maybe being the cause i am just trying to work out what i have changed lately to hopefully give me the answer as to why she got bloat , i felt very very guilty as i love all my animals the same and have so many but i had to be sensible and explane to the vet i had limits on spending for her , i hated doing it but i have all the other animals to think of too and it all comes from the pet found wich isnt all that well saved due to new baby being one of 4 all under 11 eak!! but the vets have been great and so far the bill has been under the limit and was charged £43, so not bad so far although she has to go back tomorrow for another chek. so any way i would say she is 60% better and is showing intrest in her soroundings again so fingers crossed her belly will slim down over night and she will be her cheeky self and back in her run with her sister rosie and willow their hubby tomorrow , we have yet to see her droppings but she has done a big wee today , so fingers crossed for lilly she really is a very loving friendly girl and we all love her dearly and are feeling much more happer now she is looking a little better. will keep you posted untill she is 100% better.:D
thankyou
emma x

Lilly went to the vet for her next chek up this morn and she is 100% back to normal passing poo ,wee and eating and drinking , and some of the loudest gut noise you will ever hear from a small bun!! there was no need for anymore treatment this morning , so one happy bun and keeper thanks all
emma x

Back