• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Question: Length of front teeth.

casu consulto

Mama Doe
I adopted a bunny last week. He's under a year old. Before coming here or being neutered, he had a bad GI stasis episode and did not eat for several days properly. He recovered, was neutered and was cleared as being completely healthy so we were able to adopt him.

Edgar's front teeth look long to me. When I say this, I really mean that they look LONGER than I am used to seeing with my own four bunnies. My own four have short front teeth, so short I have to gently lift their lips to catch a peek of them, because otherwise I cannot. They're also very white. Edgar, by comparison, has teeth which are more visible. I do NOT mean they are protruding over his lower or upper lip. They 'fit' within his mouth and do not cause him any trouble when he is eating, they're just more visible and so it is easier to notice this.

He has been here a week and has shown himself to enjoy EVERYTHING offered foodwise. He enjoys his hay and adores grazing on grass. He has shown no difficulty with anything, so his teeth do not seem to be causing him problems.

He is booked in for his VHD vaccine this coming Tuesday, so I will be able to gain some idea of his back teeth then. I obviously have no idea what sort of condition those ones will be in, but his front ones are puzzling me. Do bunnies have teeth of varying length? I mean, is there a length for all, or slightly varying lengths? They seem to meet, the upper and lower teeth... with him grinding down hay and grass, now it forms a larger part of his diet, could this fix itself? Or would he need his teeth burring, and then hope his diet would assist with managing or correcting the problem a little?

... I'm all stressy. The last 'dental bun' I had was my first bunny, and I feel I let her down horribly (it was ten years ago, I know more now, I hope) and she kept having recurring problems due to it. The idea of facing that again is scary, but I'm determined to do all I can to help Edgar if he has toothie problems.

It may be that your bun has an incisor malocclusion causing them to overgrow, in which case it would be worth having a rabbit-savy vet have a check of them. Incisor malocculsion is sadly, as you know already, often related to molar spurs and abnormal tooth root elongation, another reason for popping your bunny down to a good vet for a thorough oral examination.
Don't despair! One of my buns has both an incisor malocculsion and molar spurs.
We were lucky, our bun's incisor malocculsion was trauma related and so a careful burr one day managed to correct the bite and they have not needed doing in 2 years....touch wood! So it's always better to get on top of these things and find out what you are dealing with, the prospect can be scary of having a dental bun, but not all stories are bad ones! Our buns molar spurs are at the moment managed by diet alone, I can't recommend enough a good quality and tough hay. Good luck, be brave:) You never know, they could be normal.

As you know teeth continually grow so if they are stained or heavily grooved from incorrect wear this should grow out gradually as the old tooth wears away and new replaces it.

Back