• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

9 kits will mum be able to feed them

a rabbit owned by a neighbour has had 9 kits ,is this a lot?when our rabbit had kits it was only 3,she is worried whether the mum will be able to feed all these ,it seems too many ,I have seen them,and about 3 seem little but lively ,the mum seems ok,too,I have told her they may not all survive is there any way she can help them?the doe is friendly and easy to handle,any advice would be great thanks

3 - 12 kits is a normal litter size.
She might want to make sure she has some cimicat, 1ml syringes/feed bottle and probiotic handy just in case she need a bit of help.
Plenty of fresh grass will help with milk production.

It all depends on the rabbit.
What breed/size is she? Dwarf rabbits usually get around 4-5 kits and may have problems raising large litters (though I do know of a lop dwarf who raised 8 with no problems) but giant rabbits can get way more and still raise everyone.
I'd just keep a close eye on them. Do they have round bellies?
If they look very skinny it may actually be better just to take out a few.. My rex doe had 12, and only 4 survived despite the fact that she should be capable of raising more, but they got too little milk from the start. (She now has 6 healthy ones) I wasn't sure if I should feed the kits extra milk since everyone seemed to disagree on that:? (something about the babies not getting two types of milk or whatever...)

I think she is a dutch ,she is not tiny ,I suppose medium[our rabbits are larger],one tiny runt died in the night ,one does seem enormous and his fur is already coming ,they all seem lively today,thanks

Back