• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

How to check teeth?

jackson~rex

New Kit
jackson has a problem with his back teeth and they need filing a few times a year, is there a way fro me to check instea of taking him to the vets which streses him?

that way i can keep a closer eye and take him as soon as they need doing rather than backwards and forwards for checks.

Id have no idea what to look for.

Not really, vets use an otoscope/auroscope....never worked out which of those is correct?! to view the cheek teeth, although the only way to see them all properly is via Xray. Molar spurs can often be associated with abnormal tooth root enlongation so an Xray is the only way to check the tooth roots.
I think you can probably gauge the state of your bun's back teeth (cheek teeth) more by clinical symptoms....dribbling or a wet/stained dewlap, blistered or sore tongue, and/or bunny unable or unwilling to eat, or eating less, or a change in the type of food willing to be eaten - all cause for an immediate vet trip. Ideally you want to avoid things getting to this point so perhaps you can talk to your vet about a management strategy e.g. how regularly to bring your bunny along for a check up?
My buns molar spurs seem to be kept very well under control by a very high hay/grass diet.

Auriscope is the technical term but it's a nightmare to say/spell so we just call them otoscopes!
Direct visualisation of the back teeth is very difficult at home as you need someone to hold the bunny, the correct equipment to see the teeth and then the knowledge to know whether what you're seeing is normal/acceptably abnormal/needs immediate action.
I would suggest that being familiar with your rabbits normal feeding and behaviour will be your best indicator as you will start to recognise the signs he shows when his teeth start to cause him discomfort and then take him to your vet for confirmation and treatment at that stage. It's also worth recording when he needs his teeth treating as some buns can be very regular so you can start predicting when he is likely to need treatment from this.

Back