• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Rearguard or Fly Guard...?

Benjamin09

Young Bun
I'm confused!

Is there any difference or is it just two different brands?

Rearguard I can order from the vets (does 1 rabbit) - but fly guard I can get from pet shops (does up to 5 rabbits)..

Is rearguard better being its from the vets? Or does fly guard just as good - so better value for your money?

I don't want to put money for my bun, but I don't want to go for a brand name bottle when theres an alternate one thats just as good and much more easily available..

p.s. I hope this is the right section...

i personaly havn't compard the effectivness of the two brands but neither should be regarded as a preventative for flystrike. they will certainly help but you still need to keep the hutch/litter tray as clean as possibal as well as physicaly checking your bun twice a day (and ensuring they are keeping themselves clean and helping where applicable)
i would probaly use either.

I use fly guard because I've never had any instances of fly strike and my buns aren't particularly high risk. I just use it as a preventative aid. I think rear guard is probably more effective and would use that if they were high risk.

Back