• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Care after neutering

Rosey

Young Bun
Hi all :)

My George who is nearly 18 months old is of to the vets on Wed to be Neutered. I know they are going to tell me the do's and don't but I want to make sure we give him all the care we can, and it will help me to be prepared in advance, so any advice anyone can give me please.. I am guessing I should keep him inside for a few days?

PS how do I make one of those lovely sigs?

Thanks

Rosey :)

He'll need to be kept indoors for a few days, somewhere reasonably warm and quiet, (keep kids, dogs cats etc away) where you can keep a close eye on him. He will need to be confined so something like a puppy crate is ideal, half covered with a towel so that it is fairly dark at one end. It is best to use something like soft towels or vetbed as bedding rather than hay, straw or shavings, as these may stick to the wound and cause irritation. He'll need a litter tray- shredded paper would be ok as litter. He will still need hay so this is best provided in a hay rack.

Expect him to be fairly sleepy when you first get him home so try not to disturb him too much. If he has a bunny companion, he wil be happier with them by his side (separated by wire if the other bun is boisterous or bothering him). A snugglesafe may provide additional comfort, but make sure it isn't too hot.

You will need to provide water in a bowl as well as a bottle because some buns find bowls easier when they are recovering from an op.

Stock up on his favourite treats and tempting things as he may be reluctant to eat at first but it is important for his guts that he eats as soon as possible. Herbs such as parsley, carrot tops and dandelions, plus fresh grass are good for tempting a bun to eat. If he isn't eating by the following day, contact your vet.
He should have been given a pain killer when he had his op, and possible a gut stimulent. They may need to see him for additional pain relief, or they may give you some to give at home. Signs of pain are sitting looking 'hunched', panting, loud tooth grinding and reluctance to eat.

Check the wound twice daily for any signs of swelling, discharge, funny smell etc and contact the vet if you notice these, or if there is bleeding.
He must not be allowed to chew the wound as he may damage himself. contact your vet if he is chewing for advice.

There may or may not be stitches. If stitches are used these are normally dissolvable. Sometimes a special glue is used.

The vet should arrange rechecks, and advise when he can go back to his normal routine. Make sure you follow their advice, and ring if you have any worries.

Hope this helps :)
Edit: you can may a siggie on photobucket xx

Hi I am new here, I just wanted some advice as I have just had my little bunny spayed. She was spayed last Friday and since then she has been SO diffrent! It is as if she is depressed :( She was very, very feisty beforehand and had started to nest build, but she was also being very aggressive to my cats - chasing them and biting their tails and butts!! So she had to be spayed really. I just fel awful now as she is so quiet and off her food and just sits in her indoor hutch. I let her out in the garden today just for a quick run around as my garden is enclosed and do this quite often (keeping close eye on her) but she has just sat under the bushes!! Is this normal?

She is going back to the vets tomorrow for a post op check up, so will ask anyway.... just wanted some advice - Her name is Noodle and she is a black and white dwarf rex. :love:

Cheers, Spindleshanks x

Sophie was spayed this morning, I phoned a little while ago and am collecting her at 4pm. They are sending home metacalm which I expected but also baytril which surprises me a little-is this common? I prefer not to give antibiotic unless necessary :?

all the best to the buns who have been recently spayed, sorry to hijack the thread :love:

I just fel awful now as she is so quiet and off her food and just sits in her indoor hutch. I let her out in the garden today just for a quick run around as my garden is enclosed and do this quite often (keeping close eye on her) but she has just sat under the bushes!! Is this normal?

No this is NOT normal, I suspect your bun has gone into gastric stasis - has she eaten or drunk anything all day or passed any droppings at all? Tomorrow for a vet is too late - you need to see a vet right NOW. She will probably need some fluids and gut motility drugs and defnitely PAIN RELIEF and being kept warm.
Sometimes the stress and pain of a spay can cause GI stasis/bloat, especially if the vet has not used sufficient post-op pain relief. The GA itself can slow the tummy down. I hope your bunny is ok:)

Sophie was spayed this morning, I phoned a little while ago and am collecting her at 4pm. They are sending home metacalm which I expected but also baytril which surprises me a little-is this common? I prefer not to give antibiotic unless necessary :?

all the best to the buns who have been recently spayed, sorry to hijack the thread :love:

Well I guess they are giving it to prevent infection but like you I would be concerned about giving an antibiotic if the bunny doesn't have an exisiting infection. The GA itself can cause ileus, and then on top of that there is the pain and stress, all enough things to upset the tummy, slow it down, and of course this upsets the caecum - antibiotics would only make this worse. If you do give the Baytril then you should use a probiotic alongside it. It may be routine with your vet to send home with antibiotics so have a chat to them about it.

Thanks for the advice :)

George went in early this morning, so will just wait until i can call at 2pm now. Its so weird him not being here, I am used to him following me around the house as I do the housework lol

Rosey x

Back